May 2nd Dive Report/blurb - Spearing w/ Captain Mike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was a great day to be on and in the water. Seas were flat heading out and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Couple that with two of my favorite dive buddy's; Donny and Ann, and the day was a 10.

As always, with Mike's boat we were at our site in no time. Donny and Ann hit the water first. I was on my own and hit the water a couple of minutes later. Viz was excellent - 50ft or so. Mike took us to some new spots he had just recently discovered and the relief was as he said it would be (very, very nice) :thumbs-up I decided this dive to do a little different technique than I've been doing with my spearing and was able to nail a very nice sized hog and my favorite, next to grouper, snapper. :) I also stopped and took a few photos along my way (will post later). In the end I came up pretty early for me (couple minutes shy of an hour) since I was absolutely freezing (water temp 74). Hrmmm once upon a time, I could wear a bikini and never got cold... **Don't anybody dare say it**:tongue: Anywho, Donny and Ann nailed a couple nice sized hogs - Ann's was especially nice. :)

During our SI we moved spots and put the next group in. Jay and Grant did very well for themselves. I don't recall how many they nailed but I can say I wouldn't have minded trading stringers. :blush:

Third dive, my second, was pretty good as well. Again, very nice relief. Took a few more pics, watched a couple schools of fish, hunted for some flounder (no luck though), finally gave over and shot a hog. He wasn't a great size but definitely a keeper. Also stoned a jack however, he came up a tad short :doh2: In the end I think Jay got the fish of the day - a beautiful gag grouper.

Today was definitely one of those days I could have stayed out and done another couple, three, four more dives... :tongue:

Thanks to all who came came out and made a fun day of it. Especially those rotten friends of mine, Donny and Ann, who are now in Jupiter getting ready to dive again tomorrow! :devil:

btw, I will leave Donny to blow me in about what happened with my first two fish :whistling:

Aren't we cool? :rolleyes::cool2:

Grant and Pete

Captain Mike

MissD and ScubaAnn

Jay busting a move :popcorn:

Donny/III and ScubaAnn

Here are a couple from the other night's fish fry:

Reef's Tara and Salty_Dog_68/Eric

Robin, SalmonBoy/Bill, and Margaret (Robin's Ma)

Aren't we cool? :rolleyes::cool2:

Grant and Pete

Captain Mike

MissD and ScubaAnn

Jay busting a move :popcorn:

Donny/III and ScubaAnn

Here are a couple from the other night's fish fry:

Reef's Tara and Salty_Dog_68/Eric

Robin, SalmonBoy/Bill, and Margaret (Robin's Ma)

Nice pictures. The water sure looked inviting.

Nice pictures. The water sure looked inviting.

It is! Was out twice this week (Wednesday and Saturday). Wednesday viz was great. Didn't get a lot of spearing in since I had an issue with the shaft the first part of the dive... Saw lots of good stuff though; A goliath who was kinda friendly or rather curious, huge conch, a few stars, stone crab (one full of eggs), a few species of super friendly grouper (of course they know they are safe - brats ;-)) and the usual suspects.

Yesterday was a couple shools of fish, as I said. At one point I felt like the pied piper as they were following me around. Kind of hard to ambush your kill when fish are swimming in front of your face :wink:. Got an interesting pic of tunicates taking over a sea urchin :shocked2: Pic not looking good so far as it was taken in jpeg I can't seem to get the lighting right. Need to mess with this new camera my friend gave me and find out where the heck the manual white balance is!! Again lots of juvenile stuff (high-hats, drum, hogs, etc.) oh and a baby scorpion fish. :)

Anyway, keep workin' - you need to get out soon!

Miss D
Isn't this the div e Capt Mike was telling me about the ones that got away?

Funny thing sean; someone was asking me to get them set-up for a dive on one of their days of? Wonder who that could have been?????? Hopefully I remember sometime soon... I'd hate for someone to miss out. :whistling: I'm just sayin'...

I heard a story about an open stringer and fish heading to the bottom........
Hummmm trying to remember more......
Oh yeah, a shaft lost................but then recovered. (Thankfully)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom