Maximum depth PADI and NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hanalie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there anyone who can tell me if a PADI divemaster without a deep diving speciality, who is obviously limited to 30 meters maximum depth, is allowed to lead a dive with NAUI advanced divers to 40 meters which is their maximum depth? This is now taking into account that the DM does an inwater supervision dive with the divers.

There's no rule on it, because the depths are recommended maximums.

However, you should expect the DM concerned to have breadth of experience at the depths they would be supervising at, along with a sound theoretical and practical knowledge of potential issues that could affect them and their divers.

My biggest concern would be fallout in the unlikely event of an accident. Your qualifications may be questioned and rejected by your insurance holder.

If you need supervision at that depth, you probably shouldn't be going without an instructor ... and it should be for the purpose of learning how to do deep dives without supervision ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I thought that at least with regard to PADI, the only time maximum depths are explicitly stated are during training dives.

You can do whatever you want, doesn't mean it's wise or safe. Do you really want your first dive to 40m to be with students?

I'm fairly certain Blackwood decoded what the original poster is asking. I think it's about insurance/liability concerns.

Is there anyone who can tell me if a PADI divemaster without a deep diving speciality, who is obviously limited to 30 meters maximum depth

Obviously? It's not obvious to me why a DM would be limited to 30m.

As a PADI instructor, I don't hold a deep diving specialty certification.... yet I can teach the PADI deep specialty course. Go figure.

A DM leading deep recreational dives should have training & experience of organizing, planning and conducting deeper dives before taking divers on deeper dives. This could come through deep dive specialty training, divemaster training, or working with other more experienced DMs or instructors. Leading divers into an environment that you have no experience of taking groups into could be construed as neither prudent or reasonable or even professional and if an accident occurred the DM may well find themselves liable.

A DM leading deep recreational dives should have training & experience of organizing, planning and conducting deeper dives before taking divers on deeper dives. This could come through deep dive specialty training, divemaster training, or working with other more experienced DMs or instructors. Leading divers into an environment that you have no experience of taking groups into could be construed as neither prudent or reasonable or even professional and if an accident occurred the DM may well find themselves liable.

That's all true, but before readers start to think it is relevant to the DM in question, you may also have noted that the DM may well have had the requisite experience. Nothing in the original post says that he didn't.

Back
Top Bottom