Max Recommended Tanks on WTX4 (45#) Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wm4480

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am a tech diver in Pensacola wanting to upgrade doubles, from double aluminum 80's to at least double steel LP 95's. I currently dive an Apeks WTX4 Wing with a stainless steel backplate. I do not dive a drysuit, but only carry a lift bag for backup buoyancy. I am 195 and usually wear a 5mm full suit, sometimes with a 3mm hooded vest.

My question is this:

If I switch the double 80's for steel LP 95's or 108's, and I switch the backplate from steel to aluminum (dropping 6 lbs), WILL A WTX 4 with 45 lbs of buoyancy STILL PROVIDE ENOUGH LIFT TO TRIM OUT and ALLOW me to easily ascend?? (Descent clearly won't be an issue. :crafty:) I won't ever be below 200'FSW here.

Was hoping someone with similar experience or an Apeks Rep could help/comment. I am a huge Apeks fan and own 2 XTX50's and a full WTX3 harness and single tank bladder - Love all of 'em. Thanks in advance for the help.

-WM

Steel 95s and Steel 108s, when full are -10.1 lbs and -10.7,lbs each, respectively. Rounding conservatively, figure -22 lbs for full cylinders, -2 lbs for an alum plate plus you have weight of ss bands and brass manifold. The WTX4 w/ 45 lbs of buoyancy should be fine. Realize that there are other factors at play here e.g exposure suit, BC, body mass, and only you can determine your proper buoyancy. I recommend that you check you buoyancy in a pool first and adjust accordingly for salt water if necessary.

Tom Phillipp
Product Manager
Aqua Lung / Apeks US

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom