Max optimal depth on air, narcosis related

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:confused: Some days I'd have a hard time doing this on the surface. At 130' I might just run out of air before I get this one done. :rofl3:

OK, for you we'll do 3 letters.:wink:

I started watching myself closely when at depth, trying to do different small math problems like counting some random objects I see on the bottom and subtracting that number from another one, say 10 and I have noticed that even at 90' depth the thinking becomes slower, takes more effort.
Though some more established operations like calculating turnaround times, working with pressures and calculating gas consumption and other things like this go pretty easy. So I believe the narcosis does start to slow things down.

Sorry if I have not put the question clear, what I was trying to ask is
"out of real experience at what depth does an average Joe start experiencing narcosis"

Narcosis is a continuum, not a state. You start experiencing narcosis (the narcotic-like effect of breathing gases under pressure) the moment you proceed below 1 atmosphere. Different people become aware of the effects at different depths. Further, because of the nature of the effects, many people will be being measurably effected long before they are aware they are being effected. For some, they never are consciously aware of the effects.

Far too many factors to give you much of a recommendation IMHO, and many are variable day-to-day.

Up til about a year ago I routinely dove in the 160-200 ft range without significant effects of narcosis. Of course that was only achieved after many months of conditioning myself to deep diving. I could easily descend to max depth fairly quickly, film what I found and start upslope. Finding, framing and following my video subjects was one measure I used to assess the degree to which narcosis was affecting me.

When I lost my HP120 tank due to rust, I adjusted my maximum depth to 160 ft but rarely exceed 130 over the past year. Now I find I can be significantly narced at depths as shallow as 110 ft. This can vary for me on a day-to-day or week-to-week basis. I dive "cold" (48-70 F) water. In warm water I find the effects are noticeably less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom