Maui's Best Dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrian_london

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

As the title says....

Apart from Mala and Black Rock, can anyone advise me of the best places to dive in Maui.

Thanks

Adrian

Where are you staying?

Hi all

As the title says....

Apart from Mala and Black Rock, can anyone advise me of the best places to dive in Maui.

Thanks

Adrian

I'm staying in Lahaina and was staying in Kehei. I'm going to hire a car so it shouldn't be a problem either way.

I think in the Lahaina area, Tim's site has enough good stuff to keep you busy. If you dive airport beach, spend some time checking out all the little patch reefs. You'll find all kinds of little creatures. Go slow and look carefully in each little patch. You could spend hours out there.

Also, if you've never been there, I would suggest a trip over to Lanai to see the cathedrals (first cathedral is my favorite). I'd go with Extended Horizons, but you can read the comments on SB about the other ops as well.

Black rock makes a nice easy night dive. Many dive Mala at night also. Parking is closer at Mala than at Black rock, but entry is not quite as easy due to the shallow coral.

As posted in other topics here - remember a dive flag - especially at sites such as Mala.

Do you have a buddy to dive with? If not, there are several folks on SB here that you could hook up with.

I used Maui Dreams Dive Company in Feb 2008 for a shore dive at Makena Landing. The dive consisted of a bubble cave, (5 graves/5 caves) and Turtle Town. I saw a white tip shark and plenty of turtles, coral, fish, etc. Rachel was my guide. The pre-dive planning session was well done. She uses a dive slate to write the names of marine life, and will point out everything to you. She gets a kick out of showing you everything. In the bubble cave, you can chat a bit about the dive. Don is Rachel's wife, and he runs an excellent shop and dive crew. I used him for a trip out to Molokini Crater. It was a fun trip that also turned into a whale watching excursion. In fact, it was a better whale watching trip than the actual whale watching trip that I went on the following day! I'll be back in Maui May 27-29, 2009 and plan to use Rachel and Don again.

Back
Top Bottom