Maui, Ulua Beach, 07/21/2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My first dive in a few weeks. I found the Lionfish! The patch reef was just due west of the turtle cleaning station. It was about a 5 minute swim. Last time I was too far north but I found a nice one out there too.... For people who aren't photogs I don't know it it would be worth swimming out to, but I spent most of my dive out there. I was amazed on my return how close it was. Is the St. Anthony's wreck far beyond 52 feet of water? Could I swim out there? :) What's the vector from the beach? :)

Anyway, here is my report and photos:

http://www.scubapost.net/blogs/?q=node/167

Sean

Uh... the St. Anthony is in ~65-70' of water... and it off the other side from where you were.

It's almost straight out in front of the Renaissance.

You can kick out to it, but the only people I know that can do it on one tank are VERY good on their air (or using scooters).

As you can kinda see in your photos, the eyes of the lionfish can be incredible -- they look almost bloodshot when a photo is taken.

If you can get a side-on, closeup shot, they stand out really well...

They were in a few pieces of coral so it was hard getting my rig really close...

So you're saying the St. Anthony was to the North? Any idea of a vector?
One thing that could be done to conserve air would be to travel at about 20 ft then drop on the wreck and do the same on the return... How many yards from the turtle cleaning station do you think the wreck is? I'm going to check out more of the patch corals, so it would be cool to head the right direction :) I also have a depth finder so maybe a long surface kick would be possible...

Sean

I don't think you want to go all the way to the turtles -- the couple times I've *followed* an instructor doing it from Ulua, we went over the reef right at the start of the 2nd reef.

The St. A is indeed further north of the turtles. Probably NNW.

I can get a vector for you -- I don't have it off the top of my head... not sure doing the 20' swim is going to do it. It's about 1/2 mile off-shore.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to be that far out doing a surface swim -- hazards include boats and big sharks. But that's just me. :)

With your camera rig, I can only come up with 5 options; doubles (maybe 100's), rebreather (not a Ray), kayak, 2nd dive from Molokini boat and finally, superman scooter dive where you set camera down or in buddy's hands, then get going with scooter and swoop back for camera. Probably need buddy to navigate as scooter compassing with your camera migh be task overload.

I have pulled it off with my full camera rig, but yours is much more expensive and gentle is not a guarantee.

Thanks Kris, Leesa, and Halemano! Next time I'm at Ulua during the day I'll go out a little further and see what I have.. I was at 52 feet with about 2500 psi left... I wanted to rent some Al-80's (doubles) but they only rent them with Helium :) Maybe I can talk them into something! Kris I'd appreciate the vector if you can get one... I'll try to get better macro shots next time...! :)

Thanks,

Sean

If you want doubles, your best bet is to buy them... then you get the exact tanks you want and you get used to their buoyancy characteristics... :)

It's on my eventual list, but not until I'm firmly settled somewhere. :)

Same for me. I dove some steel 72's back in SoCal but I'm here till March then I'm off to Bali for who knows how long...We may return to Maui or head back to San Diego. When I head out to 65 feet I'll rent an AL 100 and see how that goes :) Maybe I can talk Brad into renting me some! :)

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom