Maui Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

function12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be going to Maui in May. Does anyone have any dive trip suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

If you've never been to Maui, plan at least one charter to Molokini and one charter to Lanai. After that, you can either choose to do more S. Maui/Molokini charters or shore dive.

Boat dive ops most often recommended here are:

Departs from the Kihei boat ramp (Molokini and S. Maui sites): Ed Robinsons, Mike Severns, and B&B

Departs from Lahaina (Lanai and W. Maui sites): Extended Horizons and Lahaina Divers **Lahaina Divers also does charters to Molokai and Molokini

For shore diving in S. Kihei area: Shaka Doug (hands down), but Maui Dreams also.

Thanks. I will look into those.

Can I Hijack this post?

I'm going to Maui in July with my 17yo daughter and my 14yo son. (Wife's going too but she doesn't dive.) What would be a nice/simple beach dive that I could take them on? We don't need to see all of Maui in one trip. We just can't go to Maui and not get in the water. I'm returning from Afghanistan in May and I'm just trying to spend some time with the family when I return so it's not a dive vacation. Just a vacation.

Thanks,
Richard

If you are going by yourself, old airport beach in kaanapali or ulua beach in wailea, however, the king of beach diving in maui is shaka doug - we went with him at thanksgiving (myself and 10yo daughter) and would do it again in a second. Conditions are highly variable in maui and he really knows his stuff... Take a look at his website and look him up on the board. He had many admirers here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Shaka Doug sounds perfect. I'm going to send my wife a link to his website so she can start the planning.

Check out Ed Robinsons!!!! Ask for Wayne, Scott, or Jeffery.

They have 2 boats that accomadate divers from beginners to advanced.
Daily trips to Molokini and other South Maui sites with only 10-12 divers per boat

Dive your own profile, and see lots of differents sites than other operators.

Open water certification and Discovery dives from the beach!!!!

They can even help you with other activities now too!!!!

Ask about their favorite Restaurants!!!! They know some great ones!!!

Have a great dive

We returned from our first trip to Maui a few weeks ago and had the same question before we left. We decided on Lahaina divers because we were staying in Ka'anapali. Although I cannot say anything bad about the staff, I can say that the boat was overcrowded both days. As a matter of fact, on day one the captain asked everyone to fill out comment cards and mention our displeasure with the number of divers aboard. He said that the crew also disliked the conditions.
We did one trip to Lana'i and one out to Molokini and both trips were very long.

We then contacted Dive & Sea Maui out of the Kihei boat ramp. The boat is brand new and very comfortable. Captain John and Emi can take twelve divers but we had one or two other divers aboard. The meeting time is 7:15 and, since they only run one two-tank trip a day, nobody is hurried. They assemble your equipment , change tanks between dives and then rinse and keep your gear for the following day. Not having to lug gear around is great. Soda, water and fruit is provided followed by a sub sandwich after the second dive. We wnt out to Molokini and then to South Maui sites. If you are on vacation and want to feel like your on vacation then Dive & Sea Maui is the operation for you.

We cannot forget to mention Ula the dog. She is aboard everyday and is a wonderful dog. While waiting for the divers to return to the boat she swims around the boat chasing fish. Having the dog aboard just adds to the feeling that you are out diving with friends rather than a dive operator. Ula is a plus for snorkelers or non-divers that want to ride along as she would certainly keep them entertained while the divers are in the water!

So, it is safe to say that we will be returning to Dive & Sea Maui and their great three member crew. We truly enjoyed our experience with them.

I did a mini-review of many of Maui's dive ops a couple of years ago. I'll try to get it updated sometime in the next month or so.

My comment on Dive and Sea Maui that summed it all up was "I had a good time on the trips I've taken with them .... kind of like a day on the water on a buddy's boat."

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4051626-post4.html

Any corrections or additions to the linked post would be appreciated. Some that I'm already aware of are:

1. North Shore Explorers is out of business.
2. The snorkel boats only let certified divers use scuba out at Molokini.
3. Makena Coast Divers is no longer a 6 pack, although most of the time he has fewer than 6.
4. Lahaina Divers has two scheduled trips to Molokai each week.
5. I habitually mispell MaalAea. :)
6. I will also add in the normal check-in times for each boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom