Maui Scuba Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PButter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all!

First, hi, I've lurked in these forums for a while, finally registered.

Secondly, if my question can be answered in another thread, please link! I've searched through lots of threads and forums but haven't found a satisfactory answer.

I'm on Maui for 2 months (til mid August) - unfortunately I made the mistake of planning to get certified on the island, without thinking about what it actually entails.

I am looking for a dive shop to get my instruction and open water certification; however I cannot for the life of me find recommendations on which shop to go with for INSTRUCTION (plenty of guided dive reviews, etc); I understand the certification agency is not as important as the instructor, and since this I will be entrusting my life to my training, I'd like to know more about the teachers. I've tried asking around but I guess I just haven't come across people who have done certification here.

Additionally, the courses on the island all seem to be done in 3 or 3.5 days. That sounds really brutal and horrible for acclimation. I would say that I'm generally comfortable in the water, but I've never been deeper than 15 feet! It seems like a really rough period for acclimation. Are there shops here that run courses that are longer? I know the whole point is so that people can come to Maui and get their training done in a jiffy, but it seems a bit much. Anyone have recommendations or can ease my mind?

At this point, I'm mostly looking at Lahaina Divers, Maui Dive Shop, B&B Scuba.

Mahalo

I got my initial open water certification from Paul at Kapalua Dive Company over ten years ago. I've taken quite a few dive courses since then and have run across many instructors, and can honestly say that he's one of the best. According to their website he's still with them. The best part about them is that they didn't actually schedule certification courses but instead did them whenever someone was interested. I ended up getting a private course because of this.

As I said, this was ten years ago so things may have changed there. I still would suggest Paul without reservation if he's still teaching there.

You will get TOP quality service from Maui Dreams Dive Co., though you'd be a part of a 3-day class unless you paid for a private class to do at your own pace.

If you're interested, I may be able to find an independent instructor (though thoroughly certified and insured as a PADI instructor) friend who could tailor a course to fit your exact desires -- PM me if you want contact info for them.

Cheers,

-kb

Depends where you're staying on the island of course, but my wife and I got our PADI OW and AOW certification from Jay at Scuba Gods in Kihei. Semi private instruction for both....coudn't be happier.

B&B is a great op and quite often you get to do your checkouts at Molokini even.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! KB, I think I will check out some of these options first, but an independent instructor sounds great as well.

I think I just freaked out a little bit when thinking about the 3 day thing - it probably is not a big deal... right?

Not such a big deal. Just dive within your comfort limits right afterward. Have fun.

Update: For those of you who posted in this thread, just wanted to let you guys know I ended up going with Maui Dreams and I am now open water certified!!! :D Wasn't such a big deal after all.

Mahalo,

Well there ya go. It usually isn't a big deal. glad ya got it done

Back
Top Bottom