Maui or Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctorblack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone. I absolutely have to make a decision about this now and I'm having a really hard time! I'm in Oahu for a conference towards the end of May and I have an extra week afterwards to spend how I like. A good friend of mine will be in Oahu for that week, staying on the North Shore, and I'd really like the chance to spend some time with her. But I would also really like to dive at Molokini back wall and cathedrals 2, and see Haleakala. And another one of my friends is going over to Maui from the Monday evening till the Thureday evening. I was thinking that I would be able to spend the first weekend at the North Shore with my mate and then go over to Maui and cram in everything that I want to do. But I hadn't thought about the fact that the altitude at Haleakala would affect my dive planning (along with the flights in and out of Maui). So now I think I've got three options...

1) Fly out to Maui on the Friday night and come back to Oahu for my flight home the following Thursday evening. This would mean that I'd miss my friend and the north shore, but would also mean that I should be able to get in Molokini, Cathedrals 2 and Haleakala. But I'd be on my own in Maui from the Friday till the Monday. This is normally not a problem for me at all, I usually go away on my own for a month every year, but I'm nervous about having to hire a car on my own as I haven't driven for about 6 years and have never driven abroad.

2) Spend the first weekend on the north shore oahu with my mate, then fly out to Maui with my other friend on the monday evening and back on the thursday evening, get in the dives that I want but skip Haleakala.

3) Skip Maui all together, spend the whole week on the north shore of oahu, get in lots of oahu diving.

This is stressing me out as I shouldn't imagine that I'll ever get the opportunity to come back to Hawaii and I don't want to miss anything. If anyone can give me any advice or make any suggestions I'd be super grateful. I'm interested in doing the kind of dives that I might not get a chance to go elsewhere but am also easily pleased by any diving, I just love to be in the water! And I also love mountains and the like, having been to the himalayas when I was younger. And when I'm holiday I also like to meet people and have a few drinks. I need to do this as cheaply as possible but am willing to spend the money it takes to do the things that I want to do. I was thinking about staying at the Bananas bungalow hostel in Maui and Shark cove rentals in oahu.

Thanks guys!

Usually when we go, and want to do Haleakala, we do it the first night there. Do the back wall the next day, and the Cathedrals the next. You might be able to find a late day back wall trip to do the first day out. I think the Cathedrals will be an all day affair. To throw another wrench in the mix, I love the night dives out in Maui, especially when there is a full moon. IF there isn't a full moon the is a star gazing tour up on Haleakala. We have not done that tour, but it should be good since you can sometimes see man made satellites with the naked eye up there. I am not sure if they stay around for sunrise though, doubt it.

Just my $.02

Given the budget, I would probably stay on Oahu myself. You will never see "everything" Hawaii has to offer in a couple weeks. I'd be inclined to settle down and get into local life on the North Shore. Shark Cove diving should be nice by then and you could save a lot of money because the grocery store (Foodland) is not too far. Molokini back wall is nice, for sure. You'd be spending plane money, car money,etc to get over there though. There is no easy way to get from the airport to your dive operators that I know of, without a car. I was there a couple months ago and it was 70 dollars for my tribe to get from the airport to Lahaina each way in the taxi van. Everything is really expensive, moving from point A to B.
The North Shore will have a great social scene if you are not rushing around.

Just my opinion! I know plenty of people that like to "pack it in"....I like to kick back a bit. Another suggestion? Decide when you get here. You can always catch a flight when you see how it is going. I hate to prepay and get committed to a schedule, and then "have to go".

I was going to suggest you make a list, listing what you want to do the most on top and that should answer it for you, but I see you've made up your mind and are planning on Maui :D Hope you enjoy your diving and time there!

Thanks guys, this forum's been really helpful.

Justleesa - you're right, I definitely going to Maui! just need to find someone who'll let me practice in their car now ...

Back
Top Bottom