Maui - Oct 1-4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jandrsn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be in Maui Oct 1st through the 4th, staying in Wailea. Do you have any recommendations for dive places closer to that part of the island? It will be my first saltwater dive, but have about 25 freshwater dives under my belt.

You're in luck, all the good ones leave from the Kihei boat ramp which is minutes north of there. Ed Robinsons, B&B Scuba, Mike Severns, take your pick, they're all good.

Good shore dives in that area are Makena landing, Five Caves/Five Graves and Wailea Beach - although parking at WB was bad. Of the three it's the one I'd skip. Unless you're staying at the Grand Wailea, in which case it's your house dive.

Contact Shaka Doug here, he runs shoredive trips in that area.

More shoredive info: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm

If you're a golfer, the Gold course is amazing.

Wow, that was a quick reply! Thanks for the info.

If you want a highly recommended op for the most inexpensive boat dive, go with B&B. If you want long dive briefings that include a lot of marine life information, go with Mike Severns. If you want something in between both, go with Ed Robinsons.

The two shore dive ops that seem to be most recommended in the Kihei area are Maui Dreams and Shaka Doug. Seems that Doug has the edge, but I've never dove with either so can't say from personal experience.

Although there are a couple of people who have had issues with Ed Robinsons, we dive with them when we're on Maui and have never had a bad experience. So like anything, your results may vary. :wink:

Have a GREAT time and enjoy your first ocean dives. Make sure you post a trip report when you return, I'd love to hear your feelings about the differences between fresh and salt water diving.

Oh yeah, and if you're expecting a lush, tropical environment (soft corals, fans, sponges), you don't see that in Hawaii. What you'll see is a lot of lava formations, hard corals, lots of turtles, and some amazing marine life that can only be seen in Hawaii. Very cool stuff that keeps me coming back at least once a year. :D

The water has been shaping up and I'm expecting some really good shore diving during the early part of October. Water is warm and the summer south swells should be over by then!

Oh yeah, and if you're expecting a lush, tropical environment (soft corals, fans, sponges), you don't see that in Hawaii. What you'll see is a lot of lava formations, hard corals, lots of turtles, and some amazing marine life

Let's see....I've been diving in Lake Mead......it will be a welcomed change! :wink:

I am one of the people that has had issues with Ed Robinson's... PM me for details.

Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei is also a great operation... a lot of the diving they do is off Wailea and Makena as conditions permit.

My son and I dove with Shaka Doug last January. Highly recommend. We did 4 shore dives and saw turtles, octopus, frog fish and much more. We are kind of novice divers and felt very comfortable with Doug's company. Good luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom