Maui Ocean Center aquarium dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done it, and I thought it was a blast.

Sure it's pricey, but it occupied the beginning of the morning for my non-diving wife an I, and she enjoyed it just as much as I did. I wouldn't say it was cheesy or touristy... it's just another way to visit an aquarium, and I wish more aquariums did this.

The staff at the MOC went out of their way to make sure my wife had a good time too, and one of the safety divers accompanied her on the public side of the exhibit, talking to her about what we were doing, looking at, etc.

Heck, think of the $200 dive fee as a donation to the Maui Ocean Center. They do a great job there, especially in that they run an environmentally responsibile aquarium.

I didn't bring my camera in the tank with me, but my wife shot pictures from the exhibition area. Some of them didn't turn out very well, but she snapped this one of my feeding Mrs. Piggy, the Spotted Eagle Ray.

Right after we entered the tank, we swam over the acrylic tunnel into the larger open area...

The aquarium diver (who's name I can't remember) spent a lot of time looking for shark teeth (he's even doing it in this picture!). I'd say we spent probably about 70% of the dive looking for teeth (you keep the teeth you find to take home). While neat at first, I was pretty content to just sit on the bottom of the tank and look around. He probably thought I was bored... but I was having an awesome time. If I went again, I'd probably mention that I had no desire to look for shark teeth, heheheheh.

-Brandon.

The MOC is a class act as far as I'm concerned. They'll put the money to good use.

I had a great time on that dive. It was money well spent in my opinion.

As if swimming with a tiger, Galapagos, and several other species of sharks weren't enough, feeding Miss Piggy is was an awesome experience.

Stopped there on our last day on the island. Looks like a blast. Next time we'll book early.

chepar:
Is this the dive Wildcard did with the sharks - or is it a separate tank?

Same dive, here's a juvenile tiger shark they had there last March...

They'll try and teach you some stuff too... although if you've ever dove much, you'll know just about everything they have to say.

In this picture, the aquarium diver has found a starfish in the tank, handed it to me, and is showing me where its mouth is (duh!).

But, he does the same thing for the folks on the dry side of the glass, and takes the time to show them some other critters too, like this venomous crown of thorns starfish.

And when you're done, you'll have a big grin on your face... I did, and I don't usually smile for cameras!

Wish I could remember that guy's name... he was a great guide, an excellent host, and made my wife and I's visit to the MOC very enjoyable!
-B.

I haven't gotten the chance to dive the aquarium, but we did visit there. It is a really great place. MOC is beautifully designed and worth the money to see it. Not expensive either.

Done it twice and will do it again every time I get a chance! Get someone to video you from outside the tank as well as having a camera inside. Sadly my 3 foot face to face tiger shark pic didn't focus as the shark was coming at me too fast. I now have a big enough card to video UW as well as outside. The tiger makes the dive even better and now they have plans to put hammerheads in too! The 3 foot shot on video is worth going back for IMHO.
Keep in mind this is NOT a cage dive and you may very well get bumped. Miss Piggy will plow you over a dozen times too. She is becoming quite the pest.
Just do it!

I did the MOC dive last August. As others have said, the staff there do a fantastic job, and it's good to know that your money will be put to good use. My brother (who isn't a diver) took a number of photos and a couple of mpegs as well. I think that he now has some insight into what this activity has quiccly come to mean to me.

Getting "up close and personal" with the spotted eagle ray was great. Once she figured out that we had no more clams to feed her, she gave us some elbow room. It was then that I began to realize just how many sharks there were in the tank. I must admit that I kept an eye out for the tiger shark -- just as the guide and I enetered the tank, the safety diver commented that she hadn't eaten in two weeks and they were beginning to be a bit concerned. (While I suspect that the comment was made for my "benefit," it was in line with the great care and concern that the staff of MOC have for the animals in their care.)

After my dive, my brother and I stayed to watch the staff feed the sharks, rays, and other fish. I was happy to see the tiger shark devour a huge fish head -- and happy that she politely waited until I was out of the tank before eating!

Ome last comment about the dive: besides the memories and the experience, I get a little kick thinking how I am a co-star in a number of people's vacation pictures!

Peace,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom