Maui in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjgibo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I know there are a lot of posts already here on where to dive on Maui and who to dive with, however I am looking for something a bit more current and my overall laziness is preventing me from sorting through all the old info, plus I know the scene has changed a lot because of economic conditions, so I am looking for something a bit more current.

Anyways so the crux of it, I am going to be in Maui sometime in the last two weeks of march (not sure on the dates yet) and I would like to do a guided dive of somewhere like that harbor place underwater i think it starts with an m, and i would also love to do a trip to lanai. If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear about it, and if you are a dive company feel free to pm me with details and costs.

I think you might be referring to Molokini Crater. It's not a harbor but it is crescent shaped and a fair number of boats head over there to tie up to the moorings each day. (From the air it probably looks just like a harbor!) It's a marine conservation district and is home to hundreds of species of fish and marine life and topside it's a bird sanctuary. Some of the best underwater visibility in the world can be found at Molokini.

Try to get a few days of diving in when you come over here. The shoreline can be even more entertaining than Molokini on many dives, but you won't get that super crystal clear water that it offers. Lanai has great diving too. Watch this forum and you will get plenty of info to help narrow down your choices.

I do a lot of shore diving and would be able to show you around if you'd like. Spring is one of my favorite times of year to dive here too. Nice conditions along with whale songs make it pretty memorable.

thank you doug, appreciate. just for the record I am not talking about molokini, I believe it was mala harbor, I cant remember what it is, but I remember seeing someone's post on here about it, something like they saw a bunch of frog fish, a white tip, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Supposed to be an easy dive follow the underwater pilings out and back in.

Mala Wharf - up in Lahaina - I've got some info here: Aloha Shore Divers it's about 2/3 of the way down the page.

If you want a guide to do this site with contact Pacific Dive - they regularly dive here via shore.

Have a great trip.

Aloha, Tim

Last edited:
tim thank you very much that is exactly what i was looking for.

I didn't even thiink of Mala! Yeah, that's a good dive and pretty easy too. Don't enter from the boat ramp though!!!!

I didn't even thiink of Mala! Yeah, that's a good dive and pretty easy too. Don't enter from the boat ramp though!!!!

Or from the sandy area to the right of the boat ramp :wink: they've been citing folks for crossing an active boat lane lately.

Thanks for the reminder Doug.

Oh - and DO NOT forget your dive flag here ... not only do they cite divers frequently at this site, it's also dangerous due the large amount of boat traffic in the area.

Aloha, Tim

Oh - and DO NOT forget your dive flag here ... not only do they cite divers frequently at this site, it's also dangerous due the large amount of boat traffic in the area.

One of the last times I dove Mala my flag was gone when I returned to where I tied it up. I asked the local fishermen on the end of the wharf, who's line I had to guide my charges around just before securing the flag, and they pointed to a kayaker near the beach. He brought it back after I yelled, saying "all the boats left so I thought they forgot it." I think he is a snorkel bob's employee. :rofl3:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/254470-frogfish-turtles-sharks-oh-my.html

Above may be one of the threads you were too lazy to search for. March, May, whatever, with the economic/tourism forecast for this winter what it is better to wait and see who's in business closer to your visit. :shakehead:

Just kidding mostly; Extended Horizons offers all the diving your asking about, and they will still be offering those dives when you visit.

[venting]Yours is the second time in as many months that I've heard similar tales of dive shop employees taking someones dive flag off the site! arrrgh - they should ask the question "What boat puts their flag in the water?" And "we" (the divers) then get in trouble for not having our flag ... [/venting]

Or from the sandy area to the right of the boat ramp :wink: they've been citing folks for crossing an active boat lane lately.

Thanks for the reminder Doug.

Aloha, Tim

Hi Tim,
I sent you a PM regarding this.
Thanks,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom