Maui in May - Lahaina Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smootie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thanks to Go! Airlines $49 fare sale, the hubby and I are headed to Maui for a weekend holoholo in May.

I was thinking of doing the Molokini + Turtle Reef package ($209) with Lahaina Divers. Has anyone done these dives with them? Would they be appropriate for novice divers?

Yes, you'd be more than fine doing those dives with Lahaina Divers as a novice. They do a great job with beginning divers IMO. Very safety conscious operation.

Be aware of a few things though:
The boat ride down to Molokini and back is a long one, though beautiful when the weather is nice.
Their boats are big, carrying up to 24 divers.
They put their Discover Scuba folks on the boat in the afternoon for the "Turtle Reef" charter, so the boat will feel much fuller.
They use AL72 tanks so if you're not good on air consumption, dives may be a bit shorter.

Since you mentioned Lahaina Divers I'm assuming you are staying up that way. +1 on what DiveMaven said. It's either a 45 minute drive from Lahaina at o'dark thirty to one of the Kihei ops, or a long boat ride. The advantage to going out of Kihei would be is you wanted to do something on that end of the island, hit the aquarium, the lava beds, etc. you can do that right after. Just no driving up Haleakala!

Thanks for the reassurances. I just emailed them to ask if they have AL63 tanks. AL72 may be too long if it is the same length as an AL80.

I love boat rides so that's not really a problem, even if it is a little rough (I hope that statement doesn't come back to bite me in the rear!) and hate to wake up early, so I guess we WILL be staying in Lahaina.

Back
Top Bottom