Maui in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Maui in January

We are considering a trip to Maui for my wife's birthday during the first week of January. I have a few questions:

1. What should the ocean temperature be that time of year?

2. Are there thermoclines at diver depths?

3. What are the chances of high seas/bad weather?

4. I can’t wear off-the rack suits. I have a custom 1 piece 7mm. Is that still too much in January?

5. I would rather solo than dive with an out-of-shape instata buddy. Are there any options where occasional vacation divers are less prevalent?

Thanks

1. 70-ish
2. No
3. On the north shore facing shores? 100% however the south facing shores should be pretty calm.
4. Some people go with a 7mm, it is a little thick for me though. I'd prefer a 4/3 or maybe a 5.
5. Shore dive?

1. 70-ish
2. No
3. On the north shore facing shores? 100% however the south facing shores should be pretty calm.
4. Some people go with a 7mm, it is a little thick for me though. I'd prefer a 4/3 or maybe a 5.
5. Shore dive?

1. 70°-ish? Would that be +/- a few degrees around 70° or low to mid?

4. I can't see getting a custom 5mm for one trip. What do you think of the 7mm jumpsuit with a 3mm or not hood?

5. Shore dives don’t give me any heartburn. She is thinking about choosing a place in Kaanapoli. Any idea how far I would need to drive to get to some protected areas?

I would second the vote for shore diving. Due to the time difrence between paradise and eastern standard time, I woke up early and would do a solo shore dive tostart my day. I would drive down from Kihei to a state beach below Wailea and gear up. The dive would start before sunrise and end after the sun was up. I picked up a rental tank the day before. This was the best shore dives I have ever had and for a measly $10 tank rental. The park had fresh water showers that worked great to rinse gear. Their bathrooms were not open when I got there, but a light at their door provided enough light for gearing up. The shore dives were nearly as good as the charters to the backside of Molokini crater. I was back to our condo before 9 am to enjoy the rest of the day out with my family.
I wore a one piece 3/2 suit with a neprene beanie cap and was comfortable. Waves were pretty nonexistant on the morning shore dives. The winds kick up in the afternoon, but the area that I was shore diving from was still nicely protected more so than Molokini.

We dive Maui every Christmas/New Years. Last year the water was pretty consistently 72 degrees, which was a bit colder than previous years (normally it's about 74 according to my dive log). Personally, I won't dive Maui in anything thinner than a 5mm full suit, but we dive daily, so the core temperature takes a beating pretty quickly. I'd say a 7mm full suit would be just fine, particularly since you can always let a bit of water in if you start feeling too warm.

The water temperature is pretty much the same from the surface to 130 feet. You have to remember that you're literally in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so not only will temperatures be pretty consistent, but weather can always be a factor. In my experience diving Maui for the past 6 years, the biggest problem you may encounter with the weather affecting diving is that the inshore waters can be mucked up from wave action or rain run off. That really messes up shore diving, but boat diving can almost always find somewhere protected to go.

Last year we had a weird current reversal and Molokini Crater was a washing machine inside. This reversal allowed us to head far south to La Perouse Bay to dive, where we got to see some really amazing lava arches and formations both above and below the water.

IMO if you've never been diving in Hawaii, it really pays to find a great dive operator with excellent guides who will take you to the places where you can see the rare, indigenous marine life that's unique to Hawaii. It doesn't matter if you're shore diving or boat diving, IMO a good guide makes all the difference in the world the first few times you dive in Hawaii.

We stay in Kaanapali for the first week we're on island and choose to drive early in the morning to the Kihei boat ramp and dive with Ed Robinson's. Not only are they geared toward the more experienced diver, but they'll take the boat wherever they need to in order to find good dive conditions.

Most recommended dive ops here seem to be: Mike Severns, B&B, and Ed Robinson's for boat diving, and Shaka Doug and Maui Dreams for shore diving. All operate in the Kihei area.

Winter temperatures, as said, are usually in the mid-70's, and you won't be hot in a 7 mil suit, unless you're incredibly hot-blooded.

Weather is variable, and when strong north swells come in, you have to find sheltered places. We've found the wind is really the worst factor.

If you want a dive op that attracts a more experienced clientele, go with Mike Severns. Pauline, who runs the outfit, is a marine biologist and co-author of one of the major guides to Hawaiian sea life. They carry ID books on board the boat, and focus the dives on unusual endemic species. There is no time limit on the dives.

If conditions are pleasant, shore diving is very good. From Kaanapali, I'd drive north to Lahaina and do the Mala Pier dive, or Shark Cove (see Home Page for some site information). Honolua Bay is further north and a bit of a hike, but a lovely dive.

If conditions are rougher, you'll have to head down to the Kihei/Wailea area, where I usually enjoy Ulua Beach and Polo Beach, or you can go on down to Makena Landing or Ahihi Bay.

I've never made a trip that I didn't dive at all, but I've had trips where we were blown out almost everywhere for one or two days. The good news is that, in those kinds of weather conditions, you can often drive over to Paia and watch the surfers and the windsurfers doing all kinds of wild things!

If conditions are pleasant, shore diving is very good. From Kaanapali, I'd drive north to Lahaina and do the Mala Pier dive, or Shark Cove (see Home Page for some site information). Honolua Bay is further north and a bit of a hike, but a lovely dive.

Mala is actually south of Kaanapali Beach, behind Safeway almost into Lahaina.

Oops, sorry; directionally challenged!

Also, in Kaanapali a night dive at Black Rock is easy from the north side of the Sheraton property, then exit at the Sheraton main beach and walk back through the property to you car in the parking lot. The reef system in front of the Hyatt (almost to the public beach by the yellow lifeguard tower) is a short surface swim, with public access beach parking - really nice if the vis is good!

Loved our dives with Pro-Diver out of Kiehi, and Shaka Doug rules the south shore!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom