maui in august

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cba191

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i will be staying in lahaina the first week in august. how are the diving conditions that time of year? and, being relatively new to diving, (i'll have probably 30-40 dives by that time) would the 5 2 tank dives with lahaina divers be a good option. i will be the only diver with me, and don't really want to drive to kihei every morning.

thanks,
ben

79 or warmer!

I haven't been here in August yet, but Sept/06 was showing 81-82 near the end of the month...

Seems there have been a few negative posts regarding Lahaina Divers recently. If you want to dive Molokini, the consensus seems to be that doing the drive to Kihei is worth it for the higher quality boat ops (Severns being my personal favorite). While the best Lanai ops leave from Lahaina (recommend Extended Horizons).

You might want to check out your options. A very good review of the Maui ops can be found here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2003813&postcount=48

Also, five charters is A LOT of boat diving... you're likely going to repeat the same site a few times, especially with the larger ops like LD.

Have you considered scheduling some shore diving (even guided shore dives)? They're usually cheaper (most 2-tank shore excursions are $90 or less) and you get to see just as much, but different! :D

Five charters isn't a lot of boat diving if you like to boat dive. When we're on island, we routinely dive charters everyday, usually translating to 5-6 charters. I don't mind repeating sites when it happens since the critters are usually different each time.

five didn't wound like a lot. molokini, the backwall, lanai, night dive, one other. doesn't seem like too much. but then again, i'm still new to this whole thing, so i'm not sure what's a lot.

You'll have fun over here - Expect warm water (I've seen it as high as 84* in August). Both boat and shore diving here is good - if you like boats then LD offers more variety than most on their scheduled trips.

If you're interested in some shore diving drop me a PM when the time gets close, and as my schedule permits we can go hit the water together :)

Aloha, Tim

i might have to take you up on that. would a 3/2 full suit be adequate? i guess i could always bring a 5 mil hooded vest in case i wanted it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom