Maui for 7, Lanai for 4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kksmama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're returning to Hawaii in April! Airfares are crazy cheap right now, less than $350 roundtrip from the east coast! We've only been once before, it was an epic trip and we had a few great dives with our kids on Hawaii and Kauai. This time it is just my buddy and I, celebrating our 30th. I've booked airfare, a car, and 7 nights at the Wailea beach resort, is the reef there good for shore diving?
I have 4 more nights to book. I've learned from other threads that some of the best boat dives go to Lanai, so I can't help but wonder - should we go there for the last part of our trip and stay on that island? If we did, could we shore dive some of those awesome sites? Are there good dive ops there? If we stayed on Maui, are there recommended resorts that would be ideal for beach dives near the Mala pier, or other great sites? Or should we go up to Kaanapali and dive different areas during the second part of the trip? We are interested in general vacation stuff in addition to diving, we'll visit Organic Ocean Vodka (all my favorite words in one place!) and explore the road to Hana. But tripadvisor is short on dive specific info so I need the expertise of scubaboard. Mahalo!

If I remember correctly, I did do a night dive at the Wailea Resort that was good. I’d highly recommend a night dive at Mala Pier. I did that as a boat dive during the day which was lame as the shore is right there

There's no real resorts near Mala - the closest would probably be ones in Lahaina itself. No real reason to try to stay nearby - IIRC it's mostly private or commercial properties nearby. If there's a DLNR vehicle parked at Mala don't go in off the ramp - it'll get you a fine. The legal entry is off the rocks to the left. Lahaina Divers used to do it as a night boat dive so that's an option. IIRC Extended Horizons actual shop is just a couple blocks east of that area for tanks etc.

I've dove Wailea Beach. Decent dive along either point but the south is better - lots of lava ledges around 40-60'. There's supposed tp be a rare endemic Triggerfish only found there = we didn't see any. Divers coming in had just seen a Manta but not us. Nice pleasant shallow dive off the beach.

Nice brunch at the Grand Wailea though I've not stayed there. I don't know the Wailea Beach Resort if that's a different property.

To dive Lana'i you really want to get on a day boat from Lahaina instead of staying there.

The Kihei Ramp based boats only go to Molokini - that's the closest boat operations just north of Wailea. Ed Robinsons, Mike Severns or B&B Scuba are popular options. For tanks for shore diving either Maui Dreams Dive Cu. or the Kihei Maui Dive Shop. B&B also rents tanks. And all charge for weights also.

I believe the only accessible shore dive on Lana'i is the one near the Four Seasons and the only shop is Trilogy Sail's satellite operation if it's even still there.They're also the only boat operator that picks up Four Seasons guests. All their trips are sail/snorkel/scuba/snuba so not the best dive sites,
Certainly dives like the famous Cathedrals are boat dives only,.

Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting Adventures all go there daily. Most of Lanai is pretty vertical - at many of the dives I've done the shore side wall of the island extends up 100' or so from the waterline - I don't know how you'd get down. Here's an example - this is the Sarkfin Rock site: http://www.tlcpropmgmt.com/divetrips/P5180587.JPG

I personally don't like Ka'anapali except for maybe some of the boardwalk restaurants. Too many big resort/condo towers - their shadows shade the beach at times. Too many people on the beach, traffic and often waits for dinner. Also the dive there is not one of the better ones. Here's a map if that appeals to you : Ka'anapali Fresh — Ka’anapali Beach Resort Map

We liked the Napili Bay area, it's older, mostly smaller condo properties on the water - a short drive down to Lahaina though.

Or it's about an hour drive from Wailea to Lahaina in the morning - resort employees going to work early are the morning traffic. I believe Lahaina Divers wants you there at 7:30am.

Last edited:
this is the Sarkfin Rock site
Ahh, this picture is worth a thousand words, thanks! Probably worth a thousand dollars, too, because I was trying to justify the 4 Seasons - which is not our typical style, nor budget. The Wailea Beach resort is a Marriott, 3700 Wailea Alanui Drive.
I keep asking about shore diving because we love being on our own, and Capsfan22 has a great thread on boat diving options. Maybe we should go way up to the Napili Kai Beach resort? I'm not really turned off Ka'anapali, the boardwalk and crowds might be okay because I'm worried about getting bored without the usual chaos of our family life. Between the Sheraton at Black Rock and the (much) further north resorts, where would the best shore diving be?

There's good shore diving all alomg the West Maui coast. Arguably Mala is the best but Black Rock is a good dive also but you'll have snorkelers above you the whole time - the better ones might join you briefly - it can't be much over 40' in areas. So is Old Airport Beach but it's better with scooters - the 2nd reef would be a long swim out - closer inshore and to the south there's a debris field left over from the sugar cane loading days. We found some long poles (masts>) several had octo's living in them.

The Ka'anapali beach dive I referenced as average is one Tiny Bubbles does off the beach at their affiliated resort. I don't know the sites name - I've read it can be murky.

If you hook up with Maui Scooter Divers they do a dive out to Umekahame beach and the Manta cleaning station there - my buddy saw 3 there one afternoon on a boat dive

Farther north Napili Bay is a decent dive on the north side and the next bay over is Kapalua Bay - another good shallow shore dive. I've also dove Olawalu to the south once but there's a possibility of Tiger Sharks there - not interested in you but the turtles...

Here's a slightly dated list of options. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

When you're in south Maui - Polo or Ulua Beach are within about 1/2 mile of Wailea beach. Makena Landing or 5 Caves just slightly farther south. Parking is often an issue at many of them - lots are small and they're sandwiched between resorts so get there early. I've never been south of Makena so no idea what those sites are like. In the Kihei/Wailea area Shaka Divers or Maui Dreams Dive Co guide.

Check out Mama's Fish House in Paia also. It's actually north of the road to Hana if you're not too worn out after that trek. We also liked Roy's Hawaii in Ka'anapali but it's pricey. Probably should make reservations at either.

I've driven by the Napili Kai resort entrance more than once but never on the property. It looked OK and should be fairly close to the dive on the north side of the bay. I believe Sea House restaurant is theirs, It's one of the older properties I mentioned. By older I mean it wasn't new our first trip there in the early 80's...

Last edited:
Great help, thanks very much! We've only hired a guide for a shore dive once, it wasn't our favorite experience. When we were certified that kind of thing wasn't common. Other than currents at Black Rock, does anyone have warnings for us about the sites which have been mentioned? Our skills were once quite advanced, but now our wisdom and discretion games are stronger.

Back
Top Bottom