maui diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just completed my first dive of 2007, in a PA quarry with 46 degree water temp -- needless to say I'm looking forward diving in Maui. We will be staying at the Marriott on Kaanapali beach. At this point we plan to do Halealaka in the beginning of our week, which leaves 3 days for diving. I'd like to do two (2 tank) shore dives and one boat dive trip. We are novice divers and I'm not sure which dive would be the best for us, Cathedrals or the inside of Molokini. I had a bad experience at Molokini 3 years ago -- went on a snorkeling trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation and they left me there -- not good! Any suggestions on shore dive operators near Kaanapali, and thoughts on Cathedrals vs Molokini.

Thanks

Bill

Funland111:
I have just completed my first dive of 2007, in a PA quarry with 46 degree water temp -- needless to say I'm looking forward diving in Maui. We will be staying at the Marriott on Kaanapali beach. At this point we plan to do Halealaka in the beginning of our week, which leaves 3 days for diving. I'd like to do two (2 tank) shore dives and one boat dive trip. We are novice divers and I'm not sure which dive would be the best for us, Cathedrals or the inside of Molokini. I had a bad experience at Molokini 3 years ago -- went on a snorkeling trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation and they left me there -- not good! Any suggestions on shore dive operators near Kaanapali, and thoughts on Cathedrals vs Molokini.

Thanks

Bill

I can recommend diving Lanai with Lahaina Divers, a quick 10min ride down the road from the Marriott. Big boats with lots of divers (some would call it a cattle boat) but I didn't mind the company.

Shore diving might be tough 'on your own' as novice divers - I'd want a guide.

Again don't do Molokini with a diver operator out of Lahaina. Going to the Cathedrals would be best from there but never Molokini. Lahaina Divers is a cattle boat operation. You like crowds? :)

If you do Molokini then I prefer B&B out of Kihei which leaves from the south Kihei boat ramp. They leave at 6am and get back before 10. Much nicer to do Molokini early before winds come up.

For shore diving contact Pacific Dive in Lahaina. They do DM accompanied shore dives for $59. Airport Beach is an easy entry site but not deep, the coral ends around 40'.

A really easy dive is Black Rock at the Sheraton. You and 100 snorkelers above your head most days.

If you want to drive south towards Kihei, contact Shaka Doug here. He runs a divebus but can't pick you up above Lahaina. I think he provides tanks etc. as needed and accompanies you on the dive.

I've been on Lahaina Divers boat mid-week. With 9 other people. We each had our own section of the boat since it's a 46' Newton. Which makes it nice as it's stable and fast on the run over to the Cathedrals. I've heard it can be crowded at times also.

Another boat option is Extended Horizons, they run out of Mala Wharf - 10min south of where you're staying.

B&B out of Kihei is good if you want to leave Kaanapali at 5am to get to the boat ramp in time. So is Ed Robinson's.

You'll want to do your boat dives in the morning, after the tradewinds pickup the boats stay near Maui and often don't make the run over to Lanai or Molokini.

I think you might also be able to find some of us locals who would join you just for the fun of the dive (shore-based diving).

Tim (kidspot) and I both enjoy meeting up with fellow scubaboarders, depending on our schedules and when you will be visiting. Incidentally, we're both instructors, also. :)

When are you coming?

PM for contact info.

Lahaina Divers will put up to 24 divers on their boat, but even during Christmas week, the most we had was 18 to Lanai. They pretty much specialize in beginning and/or occasional divers and I feel do a good job with them. They will give you lunch between your dives and a warm cookie on the way back to Lahaina, both being nice touches. They are extremely safety conscious and I think do a good job, but they definitely supervise their divers checking for air pressure, etc. during the dive. If you're more advanced or want less supervision, book with someone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom