MAUI DIVE REPORT - Extended Horizions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redball

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have just returned from 2 weeks in Maui. Well the weather was perfect and the waters where clear and warm (77-78 deg F).

I was glad to be diving everyday all day and getting in a night dive now and then. I was diving with Extended Horizions www.extendedhorizions.com during my stay and was totally impressed with their operation. Eric and his crew went above and beyond my expectations and did everything to accomodate the needs of the clients.

Upon my arrival the first night I lined up a night dive with Keith at Black Rock. I had night dives previously but when I entered this dive into my log book I simply entered into the comments "A REAL NIGHT DIVE". I could not believe the marine life I was seeing and was totally taken by surprise. People tell you about night dives and the new things you see but until you experience it for the first time you just don't fully understand the experience. What a way to start the trip.

The next day I did some shore dives with Keith along the northwest coast of Maui. Keith is the go to guy when it comes to shore diving and the hot spots. My goal was to get good pictures of Frogfish and let me say I got em' juveniles to adult and even got to see a pair of them swiming to a new spot in mid water. I wished I'd been quicker on the draw to switch the camera over to video because I am told that's a rare thing.

I did a couple boat dives with Extended Horizions as well out to Lanai (Cathedral 1 and Knob Hill) and once again I was impressed. Fish, Fish and more Fish. I was able to get pictures of some new fish that I hadn't seen before. I thank the guides (Steve & Meren and Cpt. Victoria) for all of the knowlege they shared with me in regards to the marine life. It was also really nice of them to offer up the fresh fruit, and bagels during the short trip to the next site. My previous dive boat charters did not even have drinking water on board which was not the case with Extended Horizions. I was excited to back and look at all the pictures I had captured during the dives at Lanai. I was able to photo a Wire Coral Goby, Pipefish, Pryamid Butterfly, Bluefin, and even False Killer Whales just to name a few.

As for the boat Extended Horizions II it has got to be the cleanest boat on Maui as it is removed the water each day and taken back to shop for washdown, resupply and refuel. Even the fuel is clean as Extened Horizions II is the only boat on Maui that runs on 100% Bio-Diesel which is recycled from Maui. The entire crew is dedicated to keeping the oceans clean and also sponsored a World Clean Up Day on Sep 19th. I was glad they offered me an opprotunity to participate.

Another plus with Extended is that they can accomodate PADI instruction so if during your stay you want to further your education and add additional ratings to your divelog they can help. I completed my Fish-ID with them and wish I would have taken a photo specialty as well because they have some very talented photographer/instructors on staff. I could go on and on with all the specialties and ratings that I could have done with them but you get the idea.

In closing if you are heading to Maui and looking for a quality dive operation that runs small groups Extended Horizions is who you are looking for. On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being the best I would rate them a 15.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Thanks for the kind words redball!

Believe me when I say that you are among the very few divers who have actually seen a pipefish after I wrote pipefish on my slate and pointed my light where it was. :rofl3:

You may be one of less than a handful who have gotten a picture of said pipefish I pointed out. Last year the first pipefish spot we looked at was actually a flameback coral shrimp spot (fountain shrimp / ghost shrimp) and December was when I got one of my favorite pipefish pic's.

I did not even attempt to show my guests the pipefish that day, as it hid very well after my strobe hit it.

The second pipefish spot was a new find for me on that dive with you! There was a spiny lobster in that hole but I didn't even bother shining my light on it. That pair of full grown adults is in a very photogenic hole but I will limit the flashes due to my divers in hopes they don't move out. I will have to take my camera the next time I'm on that site!

By the way; bluefin is just a modifier. I'm guessing you are talking about bluefin trevally as it would be very rare to photograph a bluefin tuna on a Hawaii reef dive. :eyebrow:

I'm also guessing your pic of the javanaise moray eel (giant moray) at the entrance of the big cavern did not turn out. In my opinion that was the rarest and most excellent find of our two dives together! My best shots to date are on smugmug. I am still hoping to have my camera when we come across one in a spot like on your dive. :shakehead:

Yeah that's them. I could only wish we saw a Bluefin Tuna or Mahi Mahi on the reef dive. All in all it was time well spent. Oh and I forgot to mention the Barracudda school. I got that on video.

redball, thanks for the great write up - very informative. I dove with EH last year this time and had a fantastic time! Looking forward to joining them in December! The night dive sounds amazing - I will definitely look into that!

halemano - your post has made me wish I was already there in the water. 2.5 months won't pass fast enough :D

Now, if they would just do something with their website. As a Web Developer, it makes my eyes hurt :wink:

I talked to Extended yesterday and confirmed the toll free number is working - call 888 divemaui and they will answer the phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom