Maui Dive Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David R

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am taking a trip to Maui toward the end of June, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on a good dive outfit?

Also any recommendations on good beach dives for a novice diver? I am staying in Kaanapali Beach.

Thanks for the help!!!!

David

My favorite dive op in West Maui is Extended Horizons. They launch a boat at the Mala Ramp in Lahaina, about 5 minutes south of Kaanapali.

One possibility for beach diving is Black Rock, which is the big rock outcropping at the north end of the main resort section, right in front of the Sheraton. The dive shack at the Sheraton does guided dives a couple times each day. They have gear and tanks available right there.

Just north of Kaanapali resort area is the Old Airport dive site. It's a relatively easy dive site. It goes by a couple of other names also -- I forget what the sign on the highway says. It's across the highway from the northern terminal of the Sugar Cane Train.

If I may offer two suggestions, first, you may want to request your question to be moved to the Hawaii forum, you will be surprised at the number of responses you will get.

Second, just south of a Lahaina dive the beach at mile 14. Stop and look on how the reef runs, to help with the navigation. I saw 8 turtles the last time I dove there.

Have a good trip.

Definitely check out the Hawaii Ohana section below, I know you'll get the answers you need. My husband and I dive Maui every year (we own a timeshare there) and our perferred operator is Ed Robinson's out of Kihei for Molokini and S. Maui sites. For Lanai, we prefer the big 46' Newtons that Lahaina Divers has, though we give up a bit of diving freedom and bottom time for the comfortable crossing (it's worth it to us).

Most recommended operators on Maui seem to be: Mike Severns, B&B, and Ed Robinson's out of Kihei for Molokini and S. Maui; and Extended Horizons out of Lahaina for Lanai and the Carthaginian. Frankly, I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them.

I agree 100% about Blackrock for a dive, though you don't really need to have a guide to dive it if you're an independent diver. Try PMing Kidspot, he lives in Lahaina and often takes SB members out on dives in the area. He also has a great shore diving website, though I can't find what it is right now. :( sorry.

we dove with Extended Horizons for a trip out to Lanai. Great outfit. The mala ramp is very convenient from Ka'anapali hotels. I hope to book with Ed Robinson for a Molokini dive the next time I make it out to Maui. there was nothing actually wrong with our Mike Severns dive--maybe it's a difference in philosophy. Yeah, it was cool to see an octopus up close, but I don't think the DM should really chase the fragile creature down, grab it and stress it out, and hand it off to someone else.

do a search in the Hawaii forum.

Hi,

I am taking a trip to Maui toward the end of June, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on a good dive outfit?

Also any recommendations on good beach dives for a novice diver? I am staying in Kaanapali Beach.

Thanks for the help!!!!

David

Hi David
Call Kidspot, and he'll get you set up! He will be more than willing to take you out diving whenever you want, plus he has scooters!!!!! :wink: Anyways, I'll send him a PM asking him to get in touch with you. Here is his website Home Page

Enjoy!

BTW, if you waited until October to go, I'll join you!

Hi David:

We just returned from Kaanapali and had a great time. We dove with Lahaina Divers because it was more convenient than driving to Kihe: we had six divers on one trip, and eight on another. Lots of room to spread out, lots of camera space.

We found Pacific Divers in Lahaina a good spot to link up with folks interested in shore dives. I wanted to take frog fish photos, and the Mala Pier was great. Saw five on one dive along with turtles, tropicals, etc.

Black Rock is an easy shore/night dive. We stayed at the Westin, but with dive gear found it easier to park in the beach parking stalls further north and closer to the entrance. (Get a spot early). There is a dive shop in Whaler's Village where you can get tanks or air.

Have fun!

Dan

Lot's of good options for both shore and boat diving from the Lahaina/Kaanapali area. Since you're staying in Kaanapali I'd suggest doing a night dive at Black Rock - one of the nicest and easiest night dives on the island. As Charlie pointed out there is a small scuba "shack" (not to be confused with the "Scuba Shack" dive shop) at the Sheraton and they can arrange some very convenient diving for you (little more expensive than other alternatives, but very convenient if staying there)

You can also check with Pacific Dive in Lahaina for shore dives - they do a great job at that. For boat dives I'd recommend Extended Horizons, or if you are a new diver check with Lahaina Divers (they cater to infrequent/new divers very well)

I'll be off island, otherwise I'd be glad to show you around too.

Have a great time

Aloha, Tim

P.S. For an idea of the local shore diving in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area Aloha Shore Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom