Maui ~ Canon S95 using diffused HID lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It actually seems harder to get good results using the diffused HID in clear well lit water than in the low viz darker waters of Puget Sound. But I was still able to get some decent images.

One thing I've really grown to appreciate with the Canon S95 is how fast and reliably it seems to aquire focus.

This first shot was in only 10' of water while free diving. If not for the quick focusing of the Canon S95 I could not have gotten this shot, especially with the surge. I used the on board flash of the S95 for a little fill with plenty of ambient light. And of course, I got red-eye! :biggrin:
IMG_06243.jpg

This sleeping Crocodile Snake Eel was while on scuba so I had a little more time. Lighting is the diffused HID with some WB correction in post processing.
IMG_07122.jpg

This Frog Fish was also with scuba and the diffused HID.
IMG_08085.jpg

Other Maui images taken with the Canon S95 can be seen here in my gallery.

Last edited:
What dive site were you at with the blocks and the reef shark?

Nice pics in the gallery! Did you shoot JPEG or RAW?
Thank you. I was shooting RAW because of concerns over the white balance.

What dive site were you at with the blocks and the reef shark?
It's by a large reef near the Kihei boat launch. They called it the State's Mistake. A year ago the State of Hawaii dropped these concrete pieces hoping to build some more reef. Evidently some of them actually landed on living reef so they had to impose a fine on themselves. :idk:

It's by a large reef near the Kihei boat launch. They called it the State's Mistake. A year ago the State of Hawaii dropped these concrete pieces hoping to build some more reef. Evidently some of them actually landed on living reef so they had to impose a fine on themselves. :idk:

Wow, that's pretty bad. HI is usually pretty good about stuff like that (have a great mooring ball program), sounds like someone screwed the pooch..

Under a ledge with plenty of particulate in the water. On board flash did not work ~ snow scene. Used the diffused HID but had to apply a gradient filter to the lower part of the picture in post to reduce exposure of the sand.

IMG_10443.jpg

I think this is a juvenile stonefish. Diffused HID from the side plus onboard flash. Exposure needed correction in Lightroom plus cropping was applied:
IMG_1169.jpg

This is the original that was cropped and adjusted to get the above:
IMG_1169-2.jpg

Looks like you are enjoying your Maui diving :D

We ended up doing 4 days with B&B plus several shore dives and the rest of the time snorkeling. Sorry I didn't get a chance to get back with you for coffee something. This trip ended up being too short. We just got back home to the rainy PNW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom