Master Scuba Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the abacus? Do you have electricity in your cave or just all natural?
I bet you can't do any maths without any help!
Have you been to anywhere where electricity or flushing toilet is not an option? Try Raja Ampat Homestay for a change from LoB and it will really open your view on life.

Are you suggesting that back in 1997 computer was widely available? I still met divers who did not possess one two wks ago!

That is what was then. I owned a dive center from the early 90's through the mid 2000's in NY and that was the case especially from mid 90's onward. We even had the start of AI and hoseless dive computers circa 1994.

I bet you can't do any maths without any help!

Lol, sure as an engineer and somebody who had perfect scores in mathematics and physics in freshman year in engineering school (I had top scores in chemistry but not "perfect" scores).

Have you been to anywhere where electricity or flushing toilet is not an option? Try Raja Ampat Homestay for a change from LoB and it will really open your view on life.

Hahahahahahaha. I am in freaking Libya with the biggest ocean but no water beach, the Great Sahara!!

SSI requires 4 specialty courses, Stress and Rescue PLUS CPR. We normally have our Master Diver Candidates take the full DAN course that includes, CPR, BLS and AED.

To get PADI rescue requires 1st aid (including cpr) and O2. PADI and SSI are very similar except Padi requires one more specialty coures and Padi specialty courses require more dives than does SSI. I started SSI o/w then switched to Padi because the shop was better.

Not at all, not even close. They are totally different certifications and the PADI MSD isn't a course at all. NAUI's MSD is a serious and a challenging course with high level of knowledge and skill development and expectations. When you come out of the NAUI MSD course/program, you are going to have NAUI instructor level knowledge and skills but without the teaching theory knowledge or credentials.

You need to read before you criticize. He said Padi DM not MSD.

You need to read before you criticize. He said Padi DM not MSD.

It includes PADI's DM, their level of knowledge and skill level is no where close to what the NAUI's MSD or DM are with NAUI.

It includes PADI's DM, their level of knowledge and skill level is no where close what the NAUI's MSD or DM.

I agree with this sentiment. I am NAUI MSD certified and PADI DM certified. The PADI DM program was nothing compared to the paces I was put through for NAUI MSD. Even the PADI dive theory was ridiculously light compared to what was expected in the NAUI MSD course/exam.

To be honest, I feel the only things I got from the PADI DM program are a certification card, ability to work in a limited professional capacity, an open door to move on to instructor if I choose, and an annual bill for professional membership dues and liability insurance.

As I observe DMs in the real world and those discussing training/certification requirements here on SB I am totally dismayed at how watered down the PADI DM program is and how much further watered down it seems lots of folks would like it to be. Just look at all the angst filled discussions about the swim test requirements.

The NAUI instructor for my MSD course only took on a limited number of students who possessed appropriate skill sets based on his observation and recommendations from other experienced divers. At the beginning of the first class he ensured everyone was aware that this was not the class to learn how to dive...the expectation was that when you said you wanted to be a Master Diver that you were making a statement about your ability as a diver, that you believed your skillset was well rounded and refined enough to lead and set the example for other divers. As an example, he explained that one was not going to learn how to navigate in his class but we would do activities that required navigation and we would be evaluated, so if your navigation skills needed work then you had better dust off your compass and figure it out.

I came out of that course a better diver over all. The exercises were challenging, the conditions were challenging, and the expectations were high. Not everyone passed, in fact not everyone who started completed the course. We started with 5 people, and only 4 of us made it to the end of the program and only 3 of us passed. The diver who dropped out realized that his skill level was not up to snuff with the rest of us and needed to spend more time in the water gaining experience/refining his technique.

Perhaps the PADI DM course of instruction I engaged in was super easy because of the NAUI MSD course I took. But upon reflection of who and what I see out there, the standards to become a PADI DM are not that high.

-Z

So much complaining about how bad PADI is. If you don't like PADI, don't deal with PADI, problem solved. I am going diving now with my PADI training and will have a good day. Adios.

So much complaining about how bad PADI is. If you don't like PADI, don't deal with PADI, problem solved. I am going diving now with my PADI training and will have a good day. Adios.

Wow, way to contribute to rational discourse.

Cheers,
-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom