Massive mako shark caught off Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beckyfish:
Hey, I just had to join the forum just to tell you guys about what really happened to this beautiful animal. If you look closely at the second picture of the article, that's me standing just below the shark with my arms crossed. I was a volunteer with the DFO (department of fisheries and oceans) at this derby and I was there when they brought the animal in and I helped to dissect her as well.
. . . keep a few things in mind: science needs specimens in order to proceed. Without the actual animals to study, we could never have a hope of finding ways to preserve them. Second, in most of Cananda - including where this shark was caught- it is illegal to kill sharks unless during an organized derby, only catch-and-release sport fisheries are allowed so without this event, we would have nothing to study.
Thanks, feel free to e-mail me any further questions you have!
goosey_girl@hotmail.com
I'm reminded of a Bristle Cone Pine that the forestry services studied, I think it was in the Sierra Nevadas, at the time I learned of it in a Wildlife Biology Class, they said it "was" the oldest living thing ever.
"Was" because in their scientific zeal, they cut it down to count the rings.
"Just another tree hugger."

archman:
Yes. Both long-term and continuous-sample projects require periodic specimen takes. The monetary costs and wait times can be significantly reduced by cooperating with existing fisheries. Public education is an added bonus.

The "scientific whaling" practiced by the Japanese is an example of exploiting a regulatory loophole. It's not a good example.

In both terrestrial and marine natural resource management it is standard, age-old practice to sacrifice portions of local habitats and populations in order to safeguard the overall ecology. The public demands it. There is very good socio-political reason as to why there are so fewer true marine reserves... the ones that forbid human entry of any but scientific kind. . . .
Catering to destructive human interactions on limited scales is one of the most effective ways to protect ecosystems as a whole. This is one of the biggest differences between researchers, environmentalists, and marine resource managers. The last group understands that in order to protect resources, you have to sometimes "dance with the devil". Scientists and environmentalists have the luxury of high principles... but they don't make the decisions.
While I agree that there has to be sampling, I can't understand why dissecting this Super Mako Mama, or any other record organism is so important to understanding and protecting a species.
Is there no way to examine the specimen without destroying it?
Darn that Heisenberg guy.
archman:
2. Rationale for gut content analysis. Older, larger animals often have different dietary habits. And we really do know little about the behaviours and trophic dynamics of pelagic animals like makos. Often the information gleaned from books has been taken from very small data sets. Many times they're inaccurate as a result of this.
Another reason. Makos primarily are apex predators, feeding on billfishes, scombrids, and carangids. As those stocks are all commercially fished, it is useful to know if the diet of their natural predators is showing signs of shifting. If that can be documented, you have additional evidence that fisheries are being overexploited. "Lack of evidence" is the parrot-cry of fishing lobbies, and one of the top reasons regulatory action is slow to take form.

3. Rationale for aging specimen. Above-average sized wild organisms are always of interest to science. We'd like to know why they're so big. Is it age, diet, sex, environmentally, or behaviorally motivated? What is the animal's reproductive status? Are there biomagnified compounds in the tissues reducing fertility?
Growth rates and fecundity are among the Top 5 measurements of importance to fisheries scientists. They're necessary in predicting and modeling stocks. Shark fisheries rank as among the most poorly known. This lack of knowledge severely hampens our ability to pass regulations.
Okay, but I don't have to like it, and I'm much more apt to agree with AmyJ and jbd, about this need.
The sad thing is that with politics and law being what they are, we have to kill things that we shouldn't need to, to avoid creating even greater havoc.
Still don't know why they couldn't have cored
the Bristle cone rather than murdering it.
Which is to say, why not tissue
samples from the Mako? Is there
no way to stomach contents
without sacrificing the donor?
If there is tournament cooperation,
then there could be equipment standing
by to subdue the animal for sample,
testing, measurement, and observation.

Tom

Thanks everybody! All in all a good thread,
but I'm dizzy from being pulled in so many
directions so fast.
It's times like these that I can almost agree
with those of my friends who call me a liberal,
because of a definition of liberal I once heard.
Liberal: a person who can lose an argument
with himself.
Sometimes I can see too many sides to most
arguments to fit "the other category."

Tom

Nomaster:
Liberal: a person who can lose an argument with himself.
By that definition I too would be a "liberal". For fear of being lynched in my town, I'll keep this under wraps.

Oh and regarding those quirky bristlecones, yes it is better for the tree to just take a core. But we can usually get much better data by chopping the thing in half and taking slices home with us. Bristlecones have extremely packed growth rings, and you need a bloody microscope to differentiate them. We won't chop them ALL down, of course!

And bristlecones aren't even the worst trees in this regard. Those recently discovered cliff-hugging species are WAY harder... some are thought to outlive even bristlecones. Sectioning those is a nightmare.

archman:
By that definition I too would be a "liberal". For fear of being lynched in my town, I'll keep this under wraps.

Oh and regarding those quirky bristlecones, yes it is better for the tree to just take a core. But we can usually get much better data by chopping the thing in half and taking slices home with us. Bristlecones have extremely packed growth rings, and you need a bloody microscope to differentiate them. We won't chop them ALL down, of course!

And bristlecones aren't even the worst trees in this regard. Those recently discovered cliff-hugging species are WAY harder... some are thought to outlive even bristlecones. Sectioning those is a nightmare.
Well, I did leave out the fact the thing was in the Krumholz region, so I knew it would be a pain in the derrier to core, and the article didn't mention its girth or much about it's size, so even at the time I figured there might be a problem with how many cores they could take to get a good ring count.
Oh, and I "forgot" to mention the problem of thin-slicing for the count.
Amazing how my brain chooses selective editing mode when my "tree-hugger" comes out to visit the world.
I once was asked how a "tree-hugger" could be a conservative;
the only/best answer I had,
"Mother Nature is an unforgiving conservative."
The guy that asked me was a blacksmith in Winthrop, WA
and another self professed conservative, he understood
and responded with a, "Good answer!"
But, I'm intrigued, how could a tree hanging to a cliff side be much more gnarled and twisted than a Bristle Cone living in the rocks at the edge of the (macro) life zone? Are you talking about another species or just some more of those tenacious BC's?

Tom

Nomaster:
But, I'm intrigued, how could a tree hanging to a cliff side be much more gnarled and twisted than a Bristle Cone living in the rocks at the edge of the (macro) life zone? Are you talking about another species or just some more of those tenacious BC's?
I located a recent website on the topic that's pretty fun-looking. I first heard about it five years or so ago, and its slowly disseminating to the general public... at least the public interested in trees.
http://www.championtrees.org/oldgrowth/articles/AmericanScientist00901.htm

Oh yeah, check this guy out. Talk about a fun job.
http://www.rbg.ca/greenlegacy/pages/botanists_douglas.html

archman:
I located a recent website on the topic that's pretty fun-looking. I first heard about it five years or so ago, and its slowly disseminating to the general public... at least the public interested in trees.
http://www.championtrees.org/oldgrowth/articles/AmericanScientist00901.htm

Oh yeah, check this guy out. Talk about a fun job.
http://www.rbg.ca/greenlegacy/pages/botanists_douglas.html
Fascinating!
Those sites get forwarded.

Thanx,

Tom

Nomaster:
Is there no way to examine the specimen without destroying it?
Tom
This was the most amusing quote in the whole thread. Even more so since this is a response to the examination of a 1035 pound mako shark. I can't imagine how you would inspect the stretching of the uterus of a huge mako when its alive. I would imagine hazard pay for molesting a fish with that many teeth would be quite high.
I want to thank Becky, archman and Deadend for being rational about this whole issue. It has been a while since I have seen so many people deny so many facts as presented by a witness(Becky). I can see that the death of this Mako caused us all to learn something about the creatures, we can thank the tourament and Becky for helping to present us with new information and a logical and rational explanation of why things happen in our world. Just because you wouldn't kill a mako, doesn't mean that others can't. Everybody should really reflect on their emotions and ask themselves why they are so emotional, and why they believe that their views should be sublimated onto everybody else.

While I am glad that there were some great side benefits to this sordid affair, I am still amazed at the impetus for it.

They weren't hunting sharks for the sake of science... they were doing it for their own egos. I have no issues with hunting or fishing for food, but I find doing it just to show off is distateful.

No, I won't try to impose my morals on any one else. But I can't help but to express my sadness at the passing of this shark. Those seeking to be fullfilled by this creature's demise are no doubt still looking for their fulfillment.

If this expression angers or upsets you in the least... well good. I'm glad it made an impact. You can bet I won't be buying Miller.

As for the adds... apparently Google has picked up on the key word of "Shark" and have tailored their ads to that. We do have a modicum of control over what they put on our site, but we can't do anything about it unless you tell us it exists. In the future, please use the "report this post" feature and tell us about any such add. At least the shark fishing charter was for catch and release.

Justin699:
This was the most amusing quote in the whole thread. Even more so since this is a response to the examination of a 1035 pound mako shark. I can't imagine how you would inspect the stretching of the uterus of a huge mako when its alive. I would imagine hazard pay for molesting a fish with that many teeth would be quite high.
I want to thank Becky, archman and Deadend for being rational about this whole issue. It has been a while since I have seen so many people deny so many facts as presented by a witness(Becky). I can see that the death of this Mako caused us all to learn something about the creatures, we can thank the tourament and Becky for helping to present us with new information and a logical and rational explanation of why things happen in our world. Just because you wouldn't kill a mako, doesn't mean that others can't. Everybody should really reflect on their emotions and ask themselves why they are so emotional, and why they believe that their views should be sublimated onto everybody else.
Science cannot be used to justify this derby. Of course the scientists take advantage of the situation but it's not the reason for the contest. Those fishermen don't have the shark's interest in their minds. They just want to catch the biggest fish.

absolutely shocking, wasteful and terribly sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom