Massachusetts lobstering...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tursiops is right. They tried that here in RI but our state constitution protects the right of all RI'ers not just fishermen to access and harvest from the ocean. We are the Ocean State after all.

The colonists used to walk in shallow water at night with lanterns and picked up lobsters as they crawled along the bottom; they fed them to their hogs!

In the outstanding series Sons of Liberty the colonist rebels hid the wine they were smuggling passed the Brits in lobster pots! Don't know if it's true but it fit the story well.

I suspect the Indians were the 1st people in NE to catch and eat lobsters.

I know Native Americans can bypass hunting and fishing laws in Mass. ex. They can take herring in the spring...I wonder if it is the same in other states?

A did a tiny bit of research on Native American fishing in Maine - enrolled member of the Passamaquoddy Tribe, the Penobscot Nation, the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians or the Aroostook Band of Micmacs that is valid for the life of that person without any charge or fee if the person presents certification from the respective reservation governor; or the Aroostook Micmac Council.

On the downside there have been recent clashes in Maine related to American eel elvers and Native American harvesting. Where there is mucho money in the mix - Mainer's don't seem to be on point as other states. So, I imagine a Native American scuba diver hunting lobster[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] would get the same kind of "cinder block dropped on your head" response. BTW - I do think years ago some SOB did try to drop crap on my head when I was on a scooter and a bit offshore. Luckily, too fast for the Rockport/ Gloucester SOB.
[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom