Massachusetts Lobster season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maddoxej

Reaction score
I am a Massachusetts resident and I'm thinking about getting me some lobster.

I have a bag, a gauge, and a tickle stick.

What else do I need?

I know I need a non-commercial lobster license. It costs $40. Is there a lobster season? Should I wait until the beginning of the next season before I get a license?

My favorite dive buddy does not live in MA. She is from NH, and can't get a license. Do both buddies need licenses, or do I just have to make sure I'm the one carrying the bag when we emerge from the deep?

I was night diving off Pebble Beach on Cape Ann, MA last week. We went out at dusk. We saw a bunch of bugs hiding under rocks in the last of the daylight. Then it got dark. They all came out. The bottom was crawling with lobster.

I understand the rules say you can't take lobster at night, it would just be too easy. It says you can get them up to 30 minutes after sunset, or 30 minutes before dawn. I think it would be much easier to find the big ones when it was dark. What are the practical rules? Does it mean, I can go into the water an hour before dawn and I just have to I am a Massachusetts resident and I'm thinking about getting me some make sure I don't come up until 30 minutes before dawn? If the game warden sees my flag with my lobster license flying 40 minutes before dawn, will I be in trouble?

Can I get all my lobster hunting done during the day, then pull a boat into the dock a couple hours after sunset with a bag of lobster? If the fish cops were sitting on the dock when I pulled in, would I be in trouble because I had a bag of game after dark?

Mad,

The licenses run calendar year, i.e. 2003. A licenses that you get now will expire 12/31/03, a licenses you get on 12/1/03 will expire 12/31/03. There is no season for lobstering in Mass Bay.

You can find other information and regulations at this website. You can also get your license online, including a temporary that is good immediately.
http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/CommercialFishing/lic_ndx.htm

As for your question on diving with a non-licensed buddy, make sure that only the licensed individual has the catch bag or handles the lobsters out of the water. Technically the non-commerical license means that only you and your immediate family can "use" the lobster... but, I think I've heard of situations where a lobster has "accidentially" fallen out of my cooler and landed in my buddy's cooler. Just make sure this accident happens away from the waterfront. Getting caught breaking any of the lobster regs could really suck... and you no only have to worry about the lobster police, but if any commerical guys happen to see you, you could be equally screwed.

As for diving near sunset/rise, you are right about the 30 minutes before to 30 minutes after... however I do not know the specifics about exiting the water, boat coming in to harbor, etc. My suggestion for you is to poke around the above website and see if it's more specific (I've looked and didn't find anything, but maybe you'd have better luck). If that fails, try to find a contact number at the department of fisheries. I've talked with them on the phone before and they seem really willing to help you out. If you find a specific answer to this question, please post it. Maybe it will calm Roman and Aaron down a bit about lobsta reg compliance :D

Some other tips for you, when you get your license, sign up for buoy colors even if you don't have any pots... you never know. Also, make sure you double check any close to short lobsters *as soon as* you hit the beach. Gauging can sometimes be a bit deceiving underwater -- make sure you're taking the measurement along a line parallel to the length of the bug. Better to double check at the water line -- short lobsters are might expensive if the lobster police finds you.

Hope this helps -- happy hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom