Mass storage......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
This question deals more with AFTER the pics have been taken. I tend to shoot a lot and sort them out later. Needless to say that can eat up a bunch of small camera storage floppy thingies.

Anyone with any experience with those separate storage devices where at the end of a days shooting I can download them and check them out on about a 2 by 2 screen?>? I dont want to carry around a lap top....even tho that would let me burn cd's.....just looking for a 20 gig or so storage unit.
Whats a good brand??

Help!!
Rich

i use a I/O Magic from Radioshack, but it does NOT have a screen. it's a 20 gig
hard-drive. i got it for about $100.00

i generally just dump all the pictures in there and check them out later. it's got so much memory, even a full week of diving and pictures abroad won't fill it.

Archos Multimedia Jukebox and Flashtrax are two that come to mind that have a small viewing screen.

I have an Archos AV320 which has a 20gb hard drive and a fairly large viewing screen. The screen's really not up to much though, and no where near as good as a laptop screen for instance (probably much lower resolution I think)

The SmartDisk FlashTrax is popular for storage. It has a 3.5 inch screen and you can change the batteries. It may be better for travel use.

I did get to play with the Archos last week. It's a really nice device. You can use it like a mini TiVo TV recorder. Just plug a signal in and the player will convert it. Somehow you can also copy DVD's and watch them on the player or hook it up to a TV. I'm sure you lose some quality but it should still look nice.

RCA makes the Lyra. I haven't seen one up close.

it may have been stated above but it depends on the situation and enviroment im in.

for a portable situation im looking at the nixvue vista (aka Delkin picture Pad) or the flash trax with each holding a min 40 gb (for long trips) where my laptop wont be with me. the big deciding factor will be the battery life and will they accept std AA

if i have my laptop with me i have a 120 GB USB 2 and 1394 (firewire) External drive that i use for storage additional to my laptop, and then transfer once i get back to the house

at the house i have a computer full of hardrives that does nothing but store my images files & data and its a 1.5 TB array all of it mirrored for safety.

but i have a multi point storage set up for photos, since i average around 15 gb+ of images a year (not joking either, its only gotten worse this year is 12gb already because of film scans this year, and its not 1/2 way through the year) and im totaling 680+GB of images right now (thats master images, smaller, and thumbnails) and because of the way the mirroring is set up risk of data loss is minimal with back ups that are run and the DVDs i burn on a regular basis and the hard drive swap i run on a monthly basis

this may be a little more advance then the average person but i use comuters in every aspect of my life so hard drive space is a must and its cheap so i just keep adding on.

if you have any more questions fee lfree to ask

Wow Scubatooth, that's a heck of a lot of pictures!

So far in the wee bit of research I've done, I like the looks of the flash trax... will be interested in the results of your research.

well that not all digital pictures. most of that is film negatives scanned in and each file averages 10-80 mb a piece depending on how they were scanned

tooth

I just use my iPod which I have most of the time anyway. Belikin makes a small reader that supports multiple types of memory. The reader was about $50 on sale and is pretty small. I just hate taking more than I have to but my iPod is a requirement..music, audio books, spanish lessons!

i pod is ok through i really care for a device that has a rca out jack for hooking up to a tv or a usb upstream port so i can connect it into a my tradfer box then plug it into a tv for reviewing pics to begin my edit process

also my biggest problem with all of these devices is the battery like is horrid i can shoot all day on my digital with out a battery change by will have to have atleast 1 spare or more for the wallet (from past use of borrowing a classmates), i wish they would do something about it

also this is my triple 6 post man thats scary, im done with finals and my post number comes up as this, thats a bit scary in my book

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom