Masks with Colored Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdc1

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen ads for those masks with the colored lenses.

They have peaked my interest.

Any comments,

Are they worth it, do you notice any difference,

I borrowed one once it was ok when there was plenty of light lots of color but I found in dim light conditions the mask made it even dimmer so bad in fact it was hard to see the setings on my camers. Did a 2nd dive with my own mask and it was a LOT better

The masks are made by Sea Vision www.seavisionusa.com

I own the Seavision Ultra with the color correcting lenses (magenta), and I've even used it on night dives without any problems. They have the max vision lenses (yellow) for turbid water and night. I have tried them in turbid water and they work as advertised. I would not dive without my Seavision!!!

pjdc1:
I've seen ads for those masks with the colored lenses.

They have peaked my interest.

Any comments,

Are they worth it, do you notice any difference,

My original Seavision mask was the one that colour-corrected the blue in the water (pink tinted). However, as has already been stated, in dim conditions that colour filters out even more light. Ergo, not my fav for night dives.

When the time came to change the prescription in my mask, I opted for the regular clear lenses. I've never regretted it.

In the end I guess it's personal preference. Frankly, I'd rather just carry a small dive light in my BC pocket like an SL4 to get "true colour" underwater (or under outcroppings) rather than use coloured lenses.

JMHO,

Good for Hunting fish...They can't make eye contact..

I borrowed one of the Seavision masks (pink tinted) and gave it a try. From my experience, it worked great....for about 5 minutes. The problem was my eyes (brain) recalibrated itself so that the lens had little effect after a few minutes into the dive. It did have an interesting after effect as well, when I took it off, my eyes had to recalibrate again. The surface looked strange for a few minutes, everythng had a green tint. Several people with me also tried it and had the same basic results. I did not buy one.

Judging from what my pic's look like (when I'm shooting without a strobe) and what I think they will look like as I'm shooting, the tinted mask works. Of course it could also indicate my skill (read: lack thereof) as a photographer.

The other benefit is that it makes a diver easily identifiable underwater and more importantly provides a topic of conversation during surface intervals :crafty: . I switch to an untinted mask at night though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom