Masks for Asian divers with really small noses???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am half-asian and have a similar problem...I use the Cressi Lince mask which is specifically for smaller faces, including smaller noses and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I dove for years w/masks w/huge nose pockets and it was really frustrating. When our shop started carrying Cressi and the rep introduced me to the Cressi Lince mask, I was hopeful...bought one and have never been happier. I highly recommend you check it out and I hope it works for you!

Africans? I think you would under the asian with flat and wide noses category so cressi has one for you too. You might even fit under the Sherwood line of masks, too. Asians don't.

Go to McCully Bike Shop on King Street. They carry the AQA/Gull full line, and will have the best prices on the things they carry (No scuba, but freediving stuff). Their dive light prices and the prices on the CressiSub freedive fins are the best too.

If you are teaching diving with Japanese, just get used to wearing AQA/Gull masks,a nd carrying one as a spare.

Where is McCully bike shop? What state? Address please.

Mahalo again to all posters!!!

I know exactly where McCully Bike is... unfortunately not in Hawaii anymore. I've brought Aloha to the people of Thailand.

I'm looking into some of the picks that were suggested. In Phuket there are a decent number of brands, bu it's still hit or miss.

If any other good mask experiences for Asian's with ultra small noses are out there - keep em' coming. I know we'll find one from all the above or at least have a nice line up of spare masks...

Aloha

Where is McCully bike shop? What state? Address please.

Sorry, I read AlohaMattt's location, and thought he was in Honolulu, Hawaii (that's where McCully Bike is.)

Correction: I thought I read ALohaMatt's location and it said Honolulu. But it seems to say Thailand now, so I must have been asleep.

And as far as I know, they don't do any shipping since they are very much a local shop.

This is slightly off subject in that rather than a fit issue, it is an issue that addresses equalization. But it is related in that if the nose pocket is the source of your angst you may find this helpful. It can be recommended that everyone learn to equalize their ears without use of the hands. For starters, get a mask without a purge so that when the mask is pressurized, you can clear your ears. Here is a link with great info on even better techniques for ear equalization.

When you get to the site, look for and download the Frenzel-Fattah Equalization workshop.

http://www.liquivision.ca/liquivisiondownloads.html

Couv

AlohaMatt I also transplanted and teach diving now in Japan. I have a small face too, so I use the Tusa domestic model. They have an export model that is a bit bigger. A lot of girls use the Gull, Tusa, SAS, or Bio metal. And as someone said, you don't have to pinch your nose, just block your nostrols and blow lightly.

Daiika

For those who've been looking for Gull masks, I just stumbled upon this:

RIFFE INTERNATIONAL / Masks & Snorkels

Looks like Riffe is distributing (or manufacturing??) the same mask models as Gull? Including some more colorful options now....maybe this was already known, but it's definitely welcome news to me since I live in Cali and haven't had any luck tracking down Gull masks to try!

For those who've been looking for Gull masks, I just stumbled upon this:

RIFFE INTERNATIONAL / Masks & Snorkels

Looks like Riffe is distributing (or manufacturing??) the same mask models as Gull? Including some more colorful options now....maybe this was already known, but it's definitely welcome news to me since I live in Cali and haven't had any luck tracking down Gull masks to try!

Adding to this IST now has a Gull knockoff that seems dead-on, that the local dive operators are using for their rental masks. What really help is that the wholesale on it is cheap enough that the shops should be able to sell for around $40.00 if they do not have to special order it. It even had the screw in the center and all that.

When I was out here before, all the shops would just bring the masks from Japan. Now there is no reason to drag stuff h ere from Japan. Not only does the IST work like a Gull, it is cheaper by a good bit.

(Still cannot find the Gull fins, or a good knockoff though.)

Back
Top Bottom