Masks for Asian divers with really small noses???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlohaMatt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need to find a mask with a very small nose pocket for an Asian diver that is having trouble pinching her nose to equalize, as her nose is very small. Living in Thailand for 7 years, I've seen that this is a really common problem for quite a few Asians.

Could anyone please recommend a mask / manufacturer that makes masks specifically for people with small noses - NOT just small faces. Maybe some brands from Japan???

Note:
Yes - she has purchased 2 small kids masks - same problem, nose pocket is too big.

Mahalo & Aloha!

I need to find a mask with a very small nose pocket for an Asian diver that is having trouble pinching her nose to equalize, as her nose is very small. Living in Thailand for 7 years, I've seen that this is a really common problem for quite a few Asians.

Could anyone please recommend a mask / manufacturer that makes masks specifically for people with small noses - NOT just small faces. Maybe some brands from Japan???

Note:
Yes - she has purchased 2 small kids masks - same problem, nose pocket is too big.

Mahalo & Aloha!

Eh, Cuz! you might like to try gull. I have an old one I bought many years ago in Hawaii too bad in the mainland that brand is non existant. Tusa is another but they might not work.

You might try the Mares X-vision Mid size...it's got a slightly smaller nose pocket than an standard mask, but the material used to make the nose pocket is really thin and easily squishable.

castanagajt - Mahalo! I think that might be a winner! I always see the Japanese divers out here with their Pink or White Gull fins and never thought about whether Gull made masks.

Now, just gotta track the masks down.

bamamedic2.0 - Thanks, but we've been through the whole Mares line. She owns a Mares Mia & Mares Kona mid. Both are so-so, but when she equalizes she has to push the nose pocket in so far that it leaks massively. It's almost like having to pull up the mask - equalize then put the mask back on and clear. Pain in the...

Keep the ideas rolling! Any other Asian brands that we've never heard of might be of help.

Aloha!

Apollo is a highly respected Japanese company, however most of their dive gear (apart from fins, and Bio-filter) doesn't make it over to the USA. Living/working in Asia, I have seen much more of their gear and it seems very well made.

Not sure if their masks are made for "locals" (Japanese) but maybe worth a shot...they have a Japanese site, but I can't read it very well...Maybe you have a friend that can?

Masks

Good luck.
HB

i have the same issue with the nose pocket , until i managed to find one try see if u can find reef masks they fit quite well for asians like myself

well, that is about all I can think of so far cuz. As for the asian wide, and flat noses we found that Cressi-sub also fits very nicely just to give you a heads up brah. I know you get friends with the wide noses, too. Probably, they have for the sharp and small noses, also.

castanagajt - Mahalo! I think that might be a winner! I always see the Japanese divers out here with their Pink or White Gull fins and never thought about whether Gull made masks.

Now, just gotta track the masks down.

Go to McCully Bike Shop on King Street. They carry the AQA/Gull full line, and will have the best prices on the things they carry (No scuba, but freediving stuff). Their dive light prices and the prices on the CressiSub freedive fins are the best too.

If you are teaching diving with Japanese, just get used to wearing AQA/Gull masks,a nd carrying one as a spare.

Also as a tip, don't tell them to pinch to equalize. It won't work. Tell them to push.

Me and my wife are both Japanese, and have used Tusa with great comfort.
I've bought Apollo's bio-metal mask, and this also is quite comfortable.

I hope your student finds a good fitting mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom