Masks - clear versus dark skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at a new mask (my old one is ready to become relegated to backup duty) - what is the benefit of a clear skirt over a dark skirt for scuba diving? I know dark skirts are better for snorkelling as you don't get sunlight refracted through them messing up your vision, and I've heard dark skirts are good for UW photography, so why are the clear skirt masks around? It's not like you can see anything through the skirt! My current mask has a clear skirt and I can't "see" any perceived benefits from it.

Ben

Less claustrophobia.

More light reaches your eyes, which may tend to constrict the pupils a bit. This will reduce low light vision (a bad thing), but might increase visual acuity (like squinting).

You may be able to sense large movement through the clear silicone, I've heard at least one diver claim he could. He felt he could catch the motion of large fish coming in from the side which helped him set up shots when spearfishing. Definitely a minority opinion.

I use black masks for both freediving and scuba.

Ralph

I use a black skirt and frame mask -- Cressi Big Eyes.

Mike

As I get older, more light, is more gooder. I use clear skirts and in low vis environment (less than 10') I like clear the best.

Back
Top Bottom