Masks and Contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my contacts all the time and routinely open my eyes under water. I would have to say that the type of contact lens matters a lot though. I'm sure everyone would agree not to open your eyes with ahrd contacts for the fear of losing them would be expensive.

But soft contacts usually work fine for me.

I usually wear Acuvue 2 and they stayed in my eyes fine while swimming and diving without a mask, but I recenbtly switched to acuvue dailies and they are a different story. The seem to be thinner and have a higher water content, which is nice because they stay wetter and lubricated on my eyes all day, but under water they slip right out. I have yet to keep a pair in under water.

So, if you use the two week kind, then I'd say to try it. But dailies, at least for me, fall out.

Tim,

I've been wearing soft contacts for over 20 years and more recently daily disposible ones (daily acuvue). I frequently open my eyes underwater swimming, windsurfing, surfing, and diving but haven't had one pop out. Had to swim around with my mask off and eyes wide open for extended periods for some recent training.

I use daily disposables so I've got plenty in my bag onshore/onboard and won't be a big deal if I lose one or two.

The only thing I do consciously is try not to blink so much underwater with contacts...

Tusa, Mares and Corona (not the Mexican brewery) make excellent masks that accomodate easily swappable prescription lenses. The replacement leses are marketed by the same companies that make the masks and are usually available at your LDS, in ".5" (positive and negative) diopter increments. I use the Tusa Splendive IV, with corrective lenses, to compensate for mild nearsightedness. The product is exceptional and I am very pleased with it. The replacement lenses can be purchase individually and are reasonably priced.

J&J 1 day Acuvue's. You must have posted right before mine. I had thought the daily's would cause a problem as they have a higher water content as u mentioned. What I tend to do is, I close my eyes on when the mask is initially removed or hitting the water (surfing/swimming), then slowly reopen my eyes underwater.

I've dove with Johnson & Johnson Acuvue/Acuvue 2 contact lens my entire diving career (12+ years). Never had a problem with them while diving (keep mask on face or eyes shut). I do, on the other hand, routinely loose them while surfing ... always seem to get flushed out during deep barrel rides. Consequently, I rotate my inventory through the following phases: brand new (in the box) , fresh (actively wearing); used (short duration for surfing/diving); done (trash).

Back
Top Bottom