Masks and Contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just started wearing disposable contact lenses (only infrequently as I actually like wearing glasses better) I do love the peripheral vision I have with them, and was considering wearing them while diving so I would have vision on the surface without my mask on, however... when I dive I really enjoy spending part of the dive with my mask off, just feeling the water on my face, and seeing things without the mask gives a very interesting perspective too. I've read some folks can actually open their eyes with contacts on without losing them underwater - How likely is it that you'd lose them? Any tricks I should know before hand?

Aloha, Tim

Time to start saving the $, go for Lasik :)
(In my case really bad nearsigtedness and astigmatism kept me away from diving for years. even though I thought I'd enjoy it. )

Otherwise, do they still make scleral lenses? They're the large hard lenses, pro sports players wear them, which perhaps wouldn't come out in the water.

I wear disposable Acuvue Advance contacts when I'm active outdoors. Love diving/swimming with them. Wouldn't recommend opening eyes underwater though-may fall out.

Maybe I'll just wait till it's time to throw this pair out and then give them a try ... nothing to lose that way.

Of course at this point I still have a hard time getting these things in and out of my eyes, so I may have to go swimming just to find an easier way of removing them lol - one thing I gotta say about the Rigid Gas Permeable lenses I used to wear is they were easy to get in and out... but too expensive to risk losing.

Lasik huh? one day ... one day :wink: in the meantime I'm very grateful for glasses/contacts :D

Tim

I wore contacts 25 years -- you're right, any correction is a good thing. Went the Lasik route because I was starting to run into dry eye -- it bites to have one pop out while running or hiking.

i dive with contacts and i havent had mine fall off while i open my eyes fully in water.
another person with contacts told me the trick really is to wear the lenses.. let them settle for a while.. then slowly expose ur eyes till they are fully exposed to water. Once the first time this is done successfully, they will stick the next time u open ur eyes.

i cant confirm this, but i havent lost my lenses yet with my eyes opened. im more concerned about infections aha.

I Teach diving and I'm constantly having to demo mask clearing...when I open my eyes underwater I just squint...Never lost a contact teaching or any other diving...they just stay in there

Joe

PS...I use Accuview

Got to agree with uglyredshoes. I have dove with contacts and have never had a problem and have had my mask off. Only had my eyes open without the mask for a sec or two though but have never had a problem. Put some eye drops in before putting on the mask I usually do. I also take them out as soon as I can and rinse my eyes out. There are also a couple companies out there that make corrective lenses for the masks.

I've been taking my mask off lately in preparation for some upcoming class drills. I've also been doing some pool swimming. I wear contacts and I don't squint - just fully open my eyes - and I've never lost a contact.

Besides, a pair of disposable contacts cost less than an EAN fill, so why sweat it?

I have never remove my mask when doing openwater dives. But had once had to jump into the water and swim with my eyes open to grab a piece of sinking equipment that fell off the boat. My contact lenses stayed put without any problem. I do have to remove my mask underwater when assisting in confine water. I always open my eyes fully and never lost it.

But a friend of my actually lost his contact lenses while clearing his mask swimming through some minor current.

Well, I always take a spare pair of disposable contact lens when go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom