Maskless ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys spend way too much time worrying about, and practicing stuff, that will never happen to you. Until recently, we scoffed at backup masks on all but the most extreme of dives as being unrealistic and carrying unneeded gear. I carry one now but still feel stupid doing it. In thousands of dives, never once have I had to deal with a lost mask. While you should know what to do if you do lose a mask, focus on the aspects of your diving where improvement will have a more tangible benefit.

Mhh, I do not agree with you, RTodd:
- as a team we always have one spare mask. It allows continuing a dive in the very unlikely case (i agree with you on this, I personally have never had the need and I heard of just one case: it was a strap issue, visibility was not impaired) that a mask gets broken. Ok, a very unlikely case, but bringing a spare mask does not seem to me so big a deal.
- as I said, maskless exercises are useful, IMHO, for other reasons, being the first a better understanding of how to control your position in water without a visual reference. That has helped me in the past, thus I find it useful.

Just my 2 cent's opinion.

RTodd is right about one thing, there is WAY too much worrying about things.

On this board, we NEVER talk about the cool dives we've done, its always about some kind of "what do I do if" discussion.

Some appear to do a TON of practice dives, some including multiple bottles (filled with 32%, mind you) to shuffle them around and pretend you're on some multi stage deco dive. Really.... This stuff is running rampant right now.

I actually enjoy doing a maskless ascent. The hand thing works great.
I love just laying there weightless and breathing!!

While it is entirely possible to do an ascent 'without holding anybones (sic) hand", you're doing a solo dive at that point, and with no eyesight. Machismo should be checked at the door. Don't try to make others who might not be up to that skill and experience level feel that they need to do it too.

More than anything, it is an exercise in trust for your buddy and panic control. Does it happen often? NO. But for most people the thought of losing their mask is frightening. I'm confident in my abilities to make a maskless ascent and comfortable to trust my buddy to assist.

I don't see why you would need to practice a maskless ascent. If you lose your mask for some strange, but unforseen reason, just ascend normally. You should have your buddy with you and you should be able to see well enough without your mask unless you are totally blind to start with. If that is the case, then your buddy can lead you on the ascent and help you level off for your safety stops.

I think we worry too much.

Oops, I didn't notice this was a DIR post. You can practice all you want.

On this board, we NEVER talk about the cool dives we've done, its always about some kind of "what do I do if" discussion.

I post all my "fun stuff" elsewhere as no one on this board ever really seems interested.

I don't see why you would need to practice a maskless ascent. If you lose your mask for some strange, but unforseen reason, just ascend normally. You should have your buddy with you and you should be able to see well enough without your mask unless you are totally blind to start with. If that is the case, then your buddy can lead you on the ascent and help you level off for your safety stops.

I think we worry too much.

Oops, I didn't notice this was a DIR post. You can practice all you want.

I can tell you from experience (mine and others, and the poor lady that I believe had a mask crack/flood in our area and ended up being injured last year or the year before), that if you dont practice it at least occasionally, it may not go as smoothly as you like.

I dont see why people have such an aversion to practicing stuff honestly. I think there is a reasonable balance, but it seems people inherently think anything dive-related is "easy" and "why would I need to practice it." Yet when taking on other activities, it seems those same people would be the first to sign up for lessons or mentorship.

Just my observations.

Some appear to do a TON of practice dives, some including multiple bottles (filled with 32%, mind you) to shuffle them around and pretend you're on some multi stage deco dive. Really.... This stuff is running rampant right now.

I passed Cave 1 end of last year. Didn't have a lot of time after class but managed to get one dive in upstream Taj Mahal just past the DCS dome and downstream right to where the line markers change direction. We're planning on going back over spring break to try to rack up a bunch more cave dives.

And I think all the practice with scootering and following line helped. I've gotten used to being far away from my exit in distance and time and wanting to get back to it, cave just means that I *must* get back to it. Made it very comfortable being in the cave environment. Practice dives do help...

And we practice these things in part because when we try to pass classes, we are asked to do them.

I do lots of fun diving. But do you guys really want to talk about what kind of little pink shrimp that was I found on a piling this morning? Didn't think so . . .

My cool dives are posted here.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom