mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been thinking about finding a cressi dealer that carries the big eye evo mask does any have any opinions on the mask.

My wife has one, as do several of the students that I have been involved in instructing. They seem to like the low volume in particular. It is actually probably the single best selling mask at the LDS.

One down side of the mask is that it has a narrower than normal strap system. So most replacement straps and webbing based straps will not immediately fit. The back of the original strap is also wider than can fit a regular neoprene strap wrapper. That means that you have to trim it a little bit.

If you get the mask, I would suggest getting a spare strap because of this issue.

I just talked with Thom at Deep Blue Scuba. They can get one for you and their rep will be in this Wednesday.

Deep Blue Scuba 257-0404. They're on 183 near Oak Knoll in North Austin

Masks are one of those things that you love or don't.

I have a Cressi Superocchio that I have had and used for a six years and now is my backup mask in my hip pocket.
The black silicone skirt is very playable and soft and still is after all these years.
The only thing I would say is to check the vision out to the sides and how it fits your face. The tabs have held good tension on my face.

If you are making a mask change now is the time also to get the lens adjusted if necessary for your vision.
Prescription masks has a wonderful service.
Link- Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

You might want to address clear skirt verses dark skirt.
Dark is better for photography and dealing with shadows and does not seem to discolor as clear.

The other thing to watch for is a frame less mask. While I like the lightweight and design they are easier to brake by a magnitude. I have broken two frame less and then tend to lead as they get older. usually in a corner.

Finally, look at the buckles. I had a problem with Mares clips that they do not hold enough tension. Not necessary a problem but those with strange shaped gords they tend to leak.

Happy hunting and I am very pleased with my Cressi dive mask.
Andrew

. . . . Not necessary a problem but those with strange shaped gords they tend to leak. . . .

OK, you get my annual vote for the strangest/wierdest/most entertaining quote. :D

I've been diving with one since 2003 when I was certified (to dive) Other than the clear skirt starting to yellow a little bit I haven't had any issues with it. I have about 60 dives on it. I love the visibility with it.

Thom at Deep Blue loaned me a Cressi Big Eyes.
Dove with it twice in the swamp.

Now have the Evo.

Fits my face well, seals well, comfortable, good vis.
I put my slap strap on it with no problems (no trimming needed).

Back
Top Bottom