Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[FONT=&quot]I'm going to be looking for a new mask soon any recommendations for a mask under $100, or if more why what’s the benefits? I'm looking at the Mares Demon mask, what do you think?[/FONT]

NegativeZero:
[FONT=&quot]I'm going to be looking for a new mask soon any recommendations for a mask under $100, or if more why what’s the benefits? I'm looking at the Mares Demon mask, what do you think?[/FONT]

Black silicone skirts tend to be softer than the translucent skirts. I used to use a translucent skirted mask but now have the black silicone skirt and it is very comfortable.

Some people think it feels claustrophobic with the black silicone skirt since it does not allow any extraneous light in from the sides of the mask. I didn't have any trouble adjusting whatsoever and I don't feel that the mask is claustrophobic at all.

It is important to remember that fit and comfort are the essential items when considering a mask purchase. What works well for one person might not work well for another.

I like Oceanic Shadow as well. But the "non-ice" black ones.

Shadow is a good mask. I personally prefer the scubamax Panoramic. They just came out with a new version similar to it but frameless. I bought one to use as a backup. Just for your information. Unless it's an atomics or some other model not made by the 2 or 3 manufacturers of masks in the world and marketed by large companies, which I do not have access to prices of, the dealer cost on most masks is around 15-20 bucks and they can even get them for less in large quantities or DEMA specials. So finding one for under 100 bucks should be easy. Usual markup is 2 1/2 times cost on masks and snorkels from what I've seen.

The best mask is the one that fits your face. Fit is the single most important factor when buying a mask. Hopefully one in your price range fits your face. I really like the old low volume Tusa Liberator.

For me, lower volume masks with the lenses closer to the eyes seem to offer the best field of vision. I have an Atomic frameless in clear, an Aeris Coral (very similar to the Shadow, half the price, a GREAT back-up mask to keep in a BC pocket) and a black-skirted Dive Rite frameless. They're all great, though the Coral has a smaller nose pocket (as does the Shadow, I think) so may not fit as well for some people.

[FONT=&quot]Ok thanks for the advice and recommendations. yeah i understand fit and such just looking for a good mask with a great field of vision. but thanks ill check out the masks![/FONT]

Fit, Fit, Fit...having said that I use Atomic Sub-Frame and Mares X-Vision masks...I like the way the Scubapro frameless is built and looks.

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom