Mask with purge valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a really hard time to keep my mask from leaking and have always had this problem with several different types of masks. After reading on here postings from other people with my problems, I think my problem is I exhale through my nose, which breaks the seal.

The problem might still be a fitting problem.

You might want to stop by your LDS and see if you could try a few different styles in the pool while someone watches you.

A non-leaking mask is part fit (the shape of the mask) and part adjustment (how you position and adjust the mask and the strap. Someone with a sharp eye might be able to help you with your current mask or help you find one that works.

That said, pretty much all masks leak at least a little, so no matter what you do, it will probably never be completely dry. On the other hand, just think how good you'll get at clearing :D

Terry

Though a purge valve mask may seem to be an answer and a viable solution, you may find that the purge mechanism may actually make it more difficult to equalize your ears if you use the nose pinch method of equalizing. I have also found that if the wearer's nose has a slight downward hook to it, they end up irritating that area because of the purge valve rubbing up against it.
I donj't know if you have tried repositioning the mask strap so that it is higher on the head or not but that works for me. I am also a nose breather BTW

I tried several types of masks when I was learning to dive and I finally settled on a purge mask by Deep Sea. Not for any particular reason - I don't exhale through my nose normally - but I just love the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom