Mask with purge valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbethveg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a really hard time to keep my mask from leaking and have always had this problem with several different types of masks. After reading on here postings from other people with my problems, I think my problem is I exhale through my nose, which breaks the seal.

I've read a bit about the masks with a purge valve and think it sounds perfect for me. Does anyone have any opinions about them? I also want to have corrective lenses put in as well. I was looking at the Oceanic Ion 2. Any suggestions/recommendations?

I have a really hard time to keep my mask from leaking and have always had this problem with several different types of masks. After reading on here postings from other people with my problems, I think my problem is I exhale through my nose, which breaks the seal.

I've read a bit about the masks with a purge valve and think it sounds perfect for me. Does anyone have any opinions about them? I also want to have corrective lenses put in as well. I was looking at the Oceanic Ion 2. Any suggestions/recommendations?

We dive with the Tilos nose purge and love it. I am not sure it corrective lens are available for it though.

Try SeaVision - they make a variety of styles - all soft silicone that seal well. They can add a purge valve and can fit the mask with corrective lenses.

Plus they are located in your area - St Petersburg. Give John Palange a call at 1-800-732-6275 - he can help you out.

I personally don't like a purge. They just add something else to go wrong (yes, the little flap can fail, on the boat or during the dive) and they add unneeded volume to the mask. If my mask always leaks, this is an indication that something needs fixing - the fit, my technique, whatever. And adding a gimmick like a purge rather than correcting the problem is something I try to avoid.

Ever notice that if you have a diving issue, a shop will try to sell you something you don't really need instead of helping you fix the problem?

I dive an old Scubapro Trivent and love it. I've had my mask since 1991 and have probably over 400 dives on it and the purge has never failed me yet. Great mask and easy to clear. But it's one large piece of front glass and they don't make them anymore so it wouldn't help you out. I've picked up a few spares on e-bay when you can find them. But a purge mask may help you with your problem for sure.

BDSC

If you break the seal by exhaling, should that action not prevent water getting in at that time ?

I'm with Rick Inman on this one about fit. I've very few dives but had two different masks, both of which I had to clear every couple of minutes. My AOW instructor suggested I get it sorted (as in go buy one that fits....) so I bit the bullet and bought my third, an Atomic. Wow, so that's what diving's supposed to be like!

I'm not saying an Atomic will be right for you, but it's probably right for more people more often than most masks. I'm sure it would sell on here too if not.... I hear good things about the Mares (liquidskin ?) too. Of course it depends on your face shape.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

I have been using masks with purges for about 40 years. The only ones that have failed had the old rubber valves that rotted away after years of use back in the 1970's. The new silicon purge valves work very well. They even use valves in respirators. Why would a dive shop sell or a SCUBA equipment manufacturer market equipment prone to failure? I have a 15 year old TUSA Imprex with purge that still works well. Some masks have valve kits. I have a new SEADIVE Rayblocker with purge that works very well.

http://www.seadiveinc.com/X-FreePS.htm

The problem though is probably fit. The new soft feathered silicon mask seals seal very well. I think you just need to go to a few shops and try on masks. I check masks for fit by gently pressing against my face. If it forms a suction and holds temporarily against my face then it should fit. I try it out in a pool first to make sure it fits in case I have to return it. I also look for the best field of view and the best optical clarity.

Expand on that one for me please Beano.... I'm sure it's obvious but.....:confused:

Sorry. about the short answer. Having seen many an OW student try and breathe through their nose, here's what I have gotten out of it:

When people exhale through their nose, many times they are using their nose to breathe in as well. That means that any tiny amount of water in the mask matters. With a well-placed purge they can get essentially all the water out especially in the bit where the nose lives.

With a non-purge mask, the whole mask edge is burping air if the diver is exhaling through the nose. Since they are not actually breathing out all that great a quantity of air, where the air is not exiting, some water is entering. Of course if you push on the top of the mask (like in your OW practice to clear your mask) you can make the burping more efficient, and less likely to let in any water. Because making sure the top of the mask stays sealed to the face, makes the air go out the bottom, where the water wants to get in. If you don't seal the top, the air usually goes out the top, and the water comes in the bottom.

Overall, nose exhalers will usually never have their masks clear unless they are diving a purge mask. And that is a problem, because they likely want to inhale through the nose too. And unless their mask is dry, that means they be snorting water a little.

I know what it is like to want to inhale through the nose. When I first tried snorkeling, I could not do it, because having a mask on my face made me feel like I could not breathe. It took me a few weeks of walking around in shoulder high water wearing a mask to get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom