Mask with a silicone flappy thingy on the nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaticLife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:D I know, I'm being extremely technical here. But seriously, when I took my SCUBA class I was borrowing my roommate's mask and it had a one way flap covering a couple little holes on the bottom of the nose. Being able to breath out my nose really helped me control my breathing. I really liked that feature a whole lot. Now that I am making a Christmas wish list for my own equipment, I want one but I don't know where to find one. Any suggestions? I tried a google search but I didn't come up with anything helpful.

Oh yeah, I don't know what model she had because I was an idiot and didn't write it down :dork2: and she took all her equipment back home this last weekend.

Purge valve.

search on here and read about masks with purge valves. They have pros and cons which would be good to be aware of before getting one. (As far as helping you control your breathing, realize that is probably temporary and as you get more comfortable you may discover you don't want to breath out through your nose all the time.)

Mask purge valves has many dissenters just as snorkels, backplates with quick releases, split fins, etc.

What is most important is fit and comfort for the individual.

For ideas, goe to LeisurePro and select masks and filter by purge.

Best not buy a mask off Internet unless familiar with proper fit to your face.

I have one with a purge valve in it. I love it. I have a mustache, which I am not going to trim to some weird looking thing that starts halfway up between my lip and my nose. So I have a purge mask that works wonderful for me. I find I clear it pretty regularly without even thinking about it. It has become almost unconscious for me.

The best thing about it, I can clear my mask while looking down. I don't have to move to clear my mask, as most of the things that I want to look at are on the bottom most of the time, or are at least below me. Non purge valve masks when I clear them I have to hold the top of the mask, and look slightly up with a twist of the head to get the water to run to the back (face side of the mask).

I have once had the purge valve get clogged with Snot, it was a pain in the butt, and made one dive less than what I would have like it to be. However I realized what had happened late in the dive and did an explosive clear of the mask and all went well after that.

Guy
:)

Back
Top Bottom