Mask strap and skirt keep turning yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunlight is likely the problem.

Many plastics are not rated for direct exposure to sun. UV (or something else?) causes them to break down. This also extends to that ziptie that keeps the mouthpiece on your regulator!

I learned this the hard way many years ago when installing flexible electrical conduct on trucks. The cheap stuff we got a good deal on started to break down after a few months. Investiagtion revealed that both sunlight and brake fluid would eat away at the plastic coating.

My first mask started to yellow after about 3 years. My next mask made it 10 years with no yellowing since I was very careful to keep it out of the sun whenever possible.

I always shake my head when I see people on day boats hanging their masks on the top of the tank between dives.

Maybe we need sunscreen for scuba masks?

I always shake my head when I see people on day boats hanging their masks on the top of the tank between dives.
Okay, so your mask still remains white while mine had turned yellow. So what?

I was told putting your mask into a fin pocket of a rubber fin, IE Jet fins, will turn it yellow quickly. I do it to my mask out of necessity sometimes since space is an issue on my boat. Mine is barely starting to change color after a couple of years and numerous dives. FWIW I have a Mares Liquid Skin.

After wading through 5 pages, Peter is the only one to post the reason: exposure to neoprene.

Store your mask someplace that isn't even in the same bag as neoprene goods, like fins, wetsuits, booties, etc. I've seen spare mask straps that were stored with fins, with only half the strap touching the fin, and that side was a nice deep yellow, with the other side only slightly tinged. I've had clear masks that were stored with non-neoprene stuff that have stayed clear for years.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom