Mask/snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it fits comfortably and doesn't leak it should be fine.

Snorkel won't work for scuba, you'll need a tank and reg. :)

^a snorkel is a tool that has it's place. I dive about half the time with a snorkel. It pulls myhair sometimes though (long haired dude...more like shaggy haired...), so I only wear it when I need it. But you can only use it for snorkeling, not for self contained underwater breathing apparatusing. Wear it while scubaing though for all I care.

The mask will be fine, I used the same thing for a while. Be careful, Carrion love to eat the skirt of this type of mask! I left it alone for 15 minutes on a table with my gear, and some vultures ate much of it and flew off. Fortunately, someone disturbed them so they dropped it! Worked for the next dive but I still replaced it. Good mask while it lasted.

For the record, my buddy had a snorkel and I didn't. I suspect they took mine because it was lighter. Snorkels are good at keeping carrion away, and attracting DIR divers.....hmm...

A snorkel is a snorkel. If the mask has tempered glass it will be fine.

It's because "they" came up with these fancy snorkels for people who don't know how to use a snorkel. A snorkel should not be more expensive than $10...

I carry a freediving (that what they call those old school snorkels nowadays) snorkel and tuck it in under the cummerbund. It's out of the way there... And since it doesn't have purge, wave breaker, etc. it's hidden well tucked under the cummerbund...

I never connect a snorkel to my mask. I simply slide it under the mask belt (in the front of my ears) if I need it. This is what I do when I freedive as well. When the snorkel is connected to the mask with those snorkel connectors, it sticks out more than it should and causes a drag/vibration when I take a plunge... Of course you can't quickly slide a snorkel in if it has wave breakers, purge valves, etc...

I don't particularly like masks with purge valves. The cover has been known to come out. It can get clogged. Either way your mask will end up leaking or flooding. It is basically a potential failure point. That's simply my personal preference. Personal preference aside, the set looks ok to use for scuba diving.

JahJahwarrior:
Snorkel won't work for scuba, you'll need a tank and reg. :)

Haha this made me lol.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of the valve as a failure point. The valve itself doesn't seem all that great, tried it out in the local pool today. If I find a mask that fits better, I might just use this one as a backup.

Wozzer:
Haha this made me lol.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of the valve as a failure point. The valve itself doesn't seem all that great, tried it out in the local pool today. If I find a mask that fits better, I might just use this one as a backup.

Hey Wozzer,

Check out Leisure Pro, they have all sorts of masks and snorkels for a decent price. If it doesn't fit, they pay for shipping for you to send it back. The shipping is usually 2-3 days. I've bought stuff from them and they amaze me every time.

I had a major valve failure on a purge mask early on in my diving. It was on a dive that was fairly difficult for me. A wreck that we were exploring the outside of with current, surge and not the greatest vis. Then, my mask valve fell out and I was totally flooded. Not a fun dive at all.
After that I wouldn't recommend one to anyone unless they are willing to take the chance of a ruined dive and returning to the boat/shore without being able to see much at all in a mask full of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom