Mask Skirt Color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merlin1392

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Guru's of ScubaBoard....
I'm looking for a new mask. Standard is fine. I live in Michigan and generally dive in cold water, but don't think that matters to a mask. The question is: What impact does skirt color have in viz?

Okay, two questions... Is it possible to measure a face and order a mask on those measurements? I've always tried them on before, but my selection is rather small in my area.

Thanks for your input!

Why black skirt masks are better:

Masks, Fins and Other Diving Essentials - Dive Gear Express

There is no way to accurately measure a face for a mask, you need to try them on. If you do buy one online make sure they have a return policy. Good Luck.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

At your risk, the Atomic Aquatics Frameless and Hollis M1 do seem to fit a wide range of faces, unless you are very small that is. If you are the AA Frameless does come in a MED size. In almost 15 years of diving it's the only mask I have found that fits and doesn't leak, I bought a spare.

there's an interesting thread posted about custom masks from facial recognition software. I personally think it's a fantastic idea. As for skirt color, I think black would be best, it keeps distorted colors and images from the corner of your vision that could otherwise be distracting. And since you wouldn't be able to make out what it would be, there's no benefit to the clear IMO

Last Christmas I ended up ordering 8 masks from 2 different retailers trying to find one for my son and simply returned the extras. Since switching, I've come to prefer a black skirt, nothing scientific to back it up, just my new preference.

Color is a preference. I like the feeling of clear. Try both and see which you like. Some say there is bothersome glare from light coming in a clear skirt, I don't notice such a thing. Some people say photographers prefer black, but my photog husband has tried black and didn't like it. Some will say a black mask won't turn yellow. This is true, but if you keep your mask in a mask box away from rubber stuff that will keep it from turning yellow.

And while you may be able to get some ideas of what masks are more likely to fit you, in the end yes, you do really have to try then on.

Generally we find our divers (and instructors!) prefer black skirted masks. They eliminate reflection, glare and light disruption on dives, and are much better for divers who take underwater photography for these very reasons. They are also easier to keep clean, by which I mean easier to keep looking not so dirty!

Happy Shopping! :)

I like a clear skirt but have learned to buy only black: no matter how well you care for it the clear skirt looks scuzzy and stained after a year or so.

I have eye problems and I feel I focus much better with a black mask skirt and my eyes feel much less fatigued after a day of diving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Clear skirts do permit light in; my husband prefers them, and they drive me crazy because I always think somebody is trying to signal me when they aren't.

Clear skirts do permit light in; my husband prefers them, and they drive me crazy because I always think somebody is trying to signal me when they aren't.
EXACTLY. The distorted images through a clear skirt are distracting/misleading

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom