Question mask self-repair - Tilos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlappen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a Tilos Titanica mask that's served me well on >100 dives, but
the front plastic ring that holds the mask plate on has started to
separate. Does anyone know how to repair this? Glue seems unlikely to
hold, and I can't figure out how to remove the plastic fully to try to
snap it back into place.

Attachments

• PXL_20221001_194159633.jpg
    PXL_20221001_194159633.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20221001_194205060.jpg
    PXL_20221001_194205060.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20221001_194209329.jpg
    PXL_20221001_194209329.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 39
Try to make sure there are no foreign particles in that gap and then
attempt to press it back into place with the strength of ten thumbs

Do you know of any way to remove the whole plastic ring before pushing it back on? I can't see any foreign objects as-is but it won't push back into place, so I suspect there's something small that needs to be removed that I won't be able to get at without taking it all the way off.
Try to make sure there are no foreign particles in that gap and then
attempt to press it back into place with the strength of ten thumbs

I'm not familiar with that brand mask, but I suspect a potential alternative to removing the whole plastic ring would be using compressed air to carefully blow out anything small that might be in the way?

If it doesn't pop into place in a way that is waterproof (with or without having to remove the ring) you'ld probably need to get into bonding silicone which can be challenging, but not impossible. I strongly assume the cost of a new mask would be less than to properly bond in this application, especially given results may or may not meet your needs (unless you are motivated simply to learn something new, by strong sentimental value, or were trying to get by on a remote dive trip without the option of a replacement mask...)

The people at Silicone Solutions | Silicone Adhesives & Manufacturing really know there stuff (and I have been happy with a handful of items I have purchased from them, but my purchases were for projects at or above the price of a new mask...).

A distant second choice which is more "off the shelf" than the above company's very focused products given shipping considerations, would be proper surface prep using Permabond POP (a Polyolefin Primer) to prime the surface of the silicone and then the parts can be bonded with a cyanoacrylate (such as Permabond 2050, which has pretty good flexibility and peel resistance, BUT also loses about half it's strength in water...). The 3M or Sika may also have some good options as well if you went down the bonding route.

Maybe try the Tilos warranty?

"Tilos guarantees, to the original purchaser only, that the equipment purchased is free of defects in material and/or workmanship under normal recreational scuba use, provided proper care and maintenance have been performed as prescribed by the owner’s guide or instruction card included with the equipment for the period outlined below. Should this product prove to be defective for any reason (other than those listed as limitations below) the product will be serviced or replaced at Tilos’ sole discretion at no charge (excluding shipping and handling)."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom