Mask recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a USDivers Maui mask. It doesn't seem to be very popular with people for some reason, but it was the ONLY mask I tried that actually didn't press down on the area at the junction of my nose and forehead.

It's a little more high-volume than others I guess, and I guess that's why people don't use it. Works great for me through.

Some thoughts on loosing masks.

You can't see depth on your dive computer. (Is a depth gauge big enough to see with no mask, I confess I've never tried). Try doing a controlled ascent blind !!! Worse still, try doing a decompression stop (not that I do decompression diving, but anyhow). You're pretty much dependant on your buddy to get you to the surface safely.

Breathing comfortably for the whole ascent means holding your nose (tying up one hand), or a fairly big extra task loading. I've just done pool exercises in preparation for this years diving, and I forgot how much of a pain not getting water up your nose is when you have no mask. It takes a lot of concentration that you may not have to spare. It adds a lot of stress that you could do without.

Yellow may be a better colour for a mask. Want to try finding a dropped black mask in poor vis ?

Now that I've thought about this I think a second mask will be on my shopping list next time I go diving.

Blue Skies,
Dave

Yeah, David, it's a pain in the butt and that's why we train for it. You are very dependent on your buddy when you are without a mask.

david.tolan:
1) Try doing a controlled ascent blind !!!

2)Worse still, try doing a decompression stop. You're pretty much dependant on your buddy to get you to the surface safely.

3)Breathing comfortably for the whole ascent means holding your nose (tying up one hand)

David, DIR is ALL about team. You would never have to do any acsent on your own if all team members are on the same page...which is a corner stone of DIR diving.

1) We did it a few times in Triox class and yes, it's up to your buddy to get you not only to the surface but to take you through deco stops along the way.

2) During the deco stops your buddy let's you know how you're doing via touch communication. Also, you can hear if your ascending (the familiar crackling sound). I just laid in trim like a corpse and focused completely on my bouyancy and the touch signals my buddy was giving me. We did our class in teams of three so while this was going on so was SMB deployment and OOA air emergencies.

3)I'm not sure what you mean about holding your nose. (?) I've never had or seen a need for that.

As far as the Topic of this thread. If it fits, get a black Scubapro Framelss! Can't beat 'em.

-Chris

I agree Cali68 on the "hold the nose" part. Shouldn't be an issue. Were you allowed to hold your nose in your classes?

Jason

Jason B:
I agree Cali68 on the "hold the nose" part. Shouldn't be an issue. Were you allowed to hold your nose in your classes?

Jason

To be honest it never came up because it was never an issue for anyone. You have one of your hands holding the team members hand that's guiding you through deco and your other hand is dumping gas from the wing. I don't see how you could hold your nose or why you would need to.

-Chris

CALI68:
To be honest it never came up because it was never an issue for anyone. You have one of your hands holding the team members hand that's guiding you through deco and your other hand is dumping gas from the wing. I don't see how you could hold your nose or why you would need to.

-Chris

Actually I was asking david.tolen. I figured a GUE class wouldn't allow that.

Jason

Jason B:
Actually I was asking david.tolen. I figured a GUE class wouldn't allow that.

Jason

Oh, sorry 'bout that.

Back to the original question:
For GUE, masks should be the lowest volume that will fit you and not have purge valves. Lenses should be tempered glass (not the cheap plastic kind). Typically most divers use 1 or 2 window masks, often of the frameless variety.

The point is, you want the lowest volume that fits your face for ease of clearing.

Color of skirt is personal preference, as is silicone vs. slap strap. Straps with quick release fittings or excessive adjustment points are out. All strap types should be checked frequently for signs of deteriotation and replaced as necessary.

You'll find that these few requirements leave you many, many options.

A lower volume mask also gives a wider field of view.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom