Mask recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soduh

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, my dive partner is looking to upgrade her mask from an entry level boxy 2 pane model to a more low profile and preferably 1 pane. She doesn't have a ton of money to invest, but it doesn't have to be completely budget either. Anything that you have tried and liked that fits this criteria?

Price doesn’t matter. Fit does. You might check out the masks from DGX or Mako, both have lower cost options.

I really like the Atomic Frameless mask. Great fit for me, and excellent quality. I have two with prescription lenses added to them. My wife, who has high cheek bones and a more angular face got a new Atomic model called the Sub Frame. It seems to have been designed with smaller sized faces in mind. Works great for her.

Fit first, how it fits your budget is second.
Doesn't matter how much it costs, if it doesn't fit right, you got the wrong one.

Having had both, I prefer the black skirts. Clear gets you no visibility, but a ton of useless glare.

The mention of Atomic, I have had good luck with them. The skirt being super pliable and more conforming than many others.

I like my Atomic Frameless and it is reputed to fit a variety of faces. Dive Gear Express has the similar DGX Gears Ultra View Frameless which a lot of people like and is less than 1/2 the price. But nothing beats trying masks at your local shop and doing them the courtesy of buying from them.
Yes, black skirt.

This is one case where going to your LDS makes sense to try different masks, as fit is critical. I hope this blog post helps: The mask test doesn’t work

This is one case where going to your LDS makes sense to try different masks, as fit is critical. I hope this blog post helps: The mask test doesn’t work
Excellent, but you don't need to trim or lube your stache'. 99% of the time your upper lip is the lower seal for your mask and any reduced seal area isn't affected. Leaks occur more often from cheek hair than the caterpillar.

Like everyone says, fit 1st, cost 2nd. Thats not to say you can't find a good fit within her budget.

What I would like to add is have a snorkel or reg in your mouth when fitting/checking a mask for a good seal. It changes your facial shape.

What everyone else above said and emphasize black skirt not clear one in addition to no side windows.

Great! This is helpful. We were definitely going to check our local shop. They just have a pretty limited selection as they're moving more into archery in order to keep the doors open. Thanks y'all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom