Mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
as i wander the many threads trying to get some help on what mask to buy i have just a few questions. one is what is the general consensus on a purge valve or non purge valve. also high or low volume? i dunno.....i have read that if you have a mustache go with the purge valve....well what if it's very well trimmed.....does that matter?

I think the rationale for having a purge mask if you have a moustache is that water will leak in and you can easily clear a purge mask just by exhaling out your nose. Another solution is to buy some moustache sealer (a wax-like substance that doesn't harm the silicone skirt of the mask). The sealer keeps the moustache from causing a leak. As to whether one type is better than the other... I think it really comes down to personal preference. What kind of mask did you use in class? Did you like it? If you did, then go with something like that. If you didn't, then try a bunch of different kinds until you find something that you like. It's really important to have a good fitting mask that doesn't leak. The moustache can be handled. As for low volume vs. high volume.... Did you have any trouble clearing your mask? The only difference between low and high volume is the amount of water you need to clear out of the mask. If you had no issues clearing your mask, this feature is not important. It's all about personal preference. Find one you like and go with it!

Just my 2 psi!

PF

One of the benefits of having a low volume mask is that it takes less effort to clear. Smaller volume = less water in the mask = less water to displace when you're clearing it.

My favorite mask is a non-purge, low volume mask. It doesn't seem like it takes any more effort to purge it than a mask with a purge.

-Brandon.

I recommend a non-purge mask for two reasons: 1) there is one less possible point of leakage failure and 2) a purge valve can interfere with pinching your nose closed, to equalize your ears.

A purge valve is one more thing to fail. A mask is a simple thing - glass, skirt, strap. Its like a snorkle - I mean, do you really need an $80 snorkle? I don't get the whole purge mask thing. Its taking something simple that works and adding another moving part to it. Whatever. Not my thing.

A low profile mask is the key. A puff and its clear.

I had face hair for years and have never dived a purge mask.

Fit is everything in a mask. I can't abide even the smallest leak. Drives me nuts. I've found the mask that fits me perfectly, is bone dry and is very comfy. I bought three of them. I use the Cressi Bug Eyes.

Good thing I did - the first night I got rocked in Malibu going into the surf and mask #1 was lost forever before it ever got dived.... not my finest hour.

Get a mask that fits. If you love it, get another one just like it and store it someplace safe.

---
Ken

I agree with the previous posts. Ultimately, the mask that is best for you will depend on your preferences and the shape of your face.

I love my Cressi-Sub Matrix. It's low profile and has an excellent field of vision. My wife has the less expensive Cressi-Sub Big Eyes and really likes her's as well.

In my experience the gasket/diaphram in the purge valve area, for whatever reason, dies (read: no longer capable of holding back the water) after way too few dives. Over and over I hear stories of either replacing the silicon diaphram or getting a standard mask. What I know for sure is the purge valve mask I see on an active diver, is not the same mask he's wearing after 6 months. I good pair of Cressi big eyes you'll see on someone's face for 5 years :D

I have had the same mask since '97 and the purge hasn't failed yet. It is the Tusa Imprex. I don't know if I will try a non-purge next or not, I sure love the mask I have.

SStrecker:
I recommend a non-purge mask for two reasons: 1) there is one less possible point of leakage failure and 2) a purge valve can interfere with pinching your nose closed, to equalize your ears.

You said it. Why would we want dodgy gadgetry to replace what should be routine operations ...

Come to think of it - I tend to prefer ones where I trust the bindings that hold the strap in place. Nothing too fancy - just simple and solid.

My straps are actually locked with strips in one position since I don't expect my head to grow any day soon. I know this practice probably belongs in the "dodgy, makeshift repairs" section ... oh well.

In my OW class, I found myself having trouble with mask-clearing. I tried a purge mask and loved it. I guess if you don't have trouble with a regular mask, go with the regular, but if it is an issue, try a purge mask and see what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom