Mask Purchase LDS VS Online question (recycled more specifically)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

max4444:
Not that I feel strongly about this issue or anything but,

Buy from an LDS or don't bother walking in their door. Better yet, if you DO walk in their door make sure you tell any associate that unsuspectingly greets you or offers you help that you fully intend to price shop them on the internet.

If you think that your LDS's products are so overpriced that you need to purchase those products online then the LDS is obviously not worthy of your time or money so do yourself a favor and don't bother setting foot in their establishment again.

It is absolutly OK to buy off the internet. Just don't bother asking your LDS's employees for any advice about anything at all. Ever.

Good LDSs realize that if you expect to make sales, you have to get customers to walk in the door (or access your internet site). Apparently, the one you are talking about doesn't and isn't. Bad LDSs may be good for nothing but fitting rooms.

Air On:
Tell you what... I'll CALL the dive shops that I visited and talk to the sales people again and give them the opportunity to adjust thier price again. I'm not going to do all the driving around again though.
I'll even add the shipping to the price I give them for a priority 1st overnight delivery.
That should add $20-$30 to the price!

I'll add thier responces here for you to see...
(Colorful language to follow)

Please do, I'd be intrested to hear how that goes. I'll bet you will indeed hear some colorful language.

Air On:
Tell you what... I'll CALL the dive shops that I visited and talk to the sales people again and give them the opportunity to adjust thier price again. I'm not going to do all the driving around again though.
I'll even add the shipping to the price I give them for a priority 1st overnight delivery.
That should add $20-$30 to the price!

I'll add thier responces here for you to see...
(Colorful language to follow)

heh heh. Maybe. Alot of LDS are super defensive about prices. Occasionally you'll find one that realizes internet shops are a fact of life and will try to meet you partway.

Really wish it wasnt like that, but its worth a try at least. :)

Oh and about your orginal question- I never even occured to me that they might fit different aside from a defective mask or something.

Air On,

I totally agree with you and where you're coming from. I, too, would like to support my LDSs and already have with some purchases (SeaSoft boots for $40! :D), but when it comes to masks... :shakehead .

I tried on a Tusa Splendive II mask here in town and liked it. The price? $109.95 Cdn. Drop in lenses? $130 Cdn.

I found the same mask on ScubaToys.com. The price? $44.65 US. Drop in lenses? $59.90 US. Plus I'm under the impression I'd get a 10% discount because I'm on SB.

The exchange rate is so favourable right now that there is no way the converted US price would even come close to what I'd have to pay in Canada. I'm willing to ask the LDS if they'd meet ScubaToys' price, but I highly doubt it. Nor would they even come close, I'd reckon.

Air on,

I can relate to the problem you have.

Being from Australia, we have kinda the same problem here. Basically a store will push one or two brands and have a couple sets of gear, some masks etc, and thats it. But alot will have the manufactures magazines to look thru or if you have seen something you want order it in for you.
Myself i travel a bit so for me, i check out what i like online, and when in NYC go into leisure pro. Honestly the prices are better when changed into aussie dollars and at times ive saved over $100 dollars on a pair of fins and mask alone, and several hundred dollars when comparing bcd's etc plus the range its much larger from a couple types to a few dozen types.

If you want to buy it online go for it, in reality alot of the on line stores are someones lds.
As others have said, and i do agree, call your lds and tell them what you like, how much youve seen it online and see if they can meet the price. A lot of them will and if they cant well thats ok too, you have given them the chance too. Diving can be expensive, trust me as an aussie and the prices down here it really can be lol, but if we can support the lds and save some money, thats good for everyone, as the extra dollars in your pocket means more air fills from your lds and more diving.

tracy

I agree with the whole "asking them to match" concept, but the reality is all together another issue at many LDS's. It's just not worth the guilt trip I would get to even ask most LDS's if they will match. If I wanted to barter when I shop, I would go to the flea market or Cozumel, lol.

scubadobadoo:
I agree woth the whole "asking them to match" concept, but the reality is all together another issue at many LDS's. It's just not worth the guilt trip I would get to even ask most LDS's if they will match. If I wanted to barter when I shop, I would go to the flea market or Cozumel, lol.

Amen to that! I hate bartering for prices.

My LDS has worked with me on everything. He realizes that I can get more of a selection and better pricing on the web. Most of the time he will try to match pricing+shipping. What I would pay on the web + the cost to have it shipped to me. Most of the time he has been able to become very competitive with that price. One of the things that he couldn't even come close on was both my wife and my dive boots. He did not have a problem with me purchasing them online. He has realized that I will at least try to tt him to see if he can match the price before I go out and buy something. There is nothing wrong with price matching. Best Buy does it for all of the store items, Lowes does it for all their store items. Walmart will do it and just about all the major retailers will. As much as I would love to support the local economy I'm not going to over pay for something to get the same product. Yes I agree that I may not get the same service but on the little things I'm not going to worry about it. Internet sales are here to stay and Retailers need to get with the times or close up shop! ( I absolutely hate to hear myself say that.) With the way everything is priced today from new cars to fuel the the clothes people wear. I would not be a smart business man not to buy from the vender with the most cost effective product.

We are a LDS and had to start an internet shop to stay competitive. It's a hard world out there, our customers were doing the same thing you're talking about...coming in, trying on the stuff, spending hours asking questions and getting fitted, then buying from someone online. Our answer to stay in business was to compete online and drop our prices as low as possible. Hopefully we can make enough sales to still stay in business, unlike many other dive shops these days. If you're going in an LDS in the future, ask them if they can be competitive. Of course, you can always buy from us and make me very happy!

Good luck and happy diving!
Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Crazy, as a LDS owner operator can you explain to us the vast difference between pricing for the same product? Why is it that there is such a huge mark-up at some of the LDS's compared to online. I understand that depending on volume of product that you buy some of the online stores get a little better pricing from the mfg. But wholesale pricing shoud be wholesale pricing. In the perfect retail world there shouldn't be much of a difference from one vender to another on what the mfg charges the vender for the product? Maybe you can help some of us understand. IF people are better educated on the subject then maybe we can help solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom