Mask Purchase LDS VS Online question (recycled more specifically)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air On

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I understand the problems of fit and size VS online orders...

Is the quality of the mask production so inconsitsnt that the same brand of mask from online is a completly differnt fit from one at a shop of the same style.

Say I found a mask that fit grate at a local dive shop (a Tusa Visunator) and the shop wants something like $120 for the mask but includes some tupperware for it.

I can find the same mask online from a well known vender who has been well reviewed... for less than HALF that price.

Wouldn't the mold for the masks be the same as far as fit in concerned? If I found the style that fit I should be able to get a similar make online?

The JEANS description doesn't really work because they are cut on a pile many layers thick with a big shear and the cloth twists then they sew the seams... Popping a bit of rubber out of a mold should be a lot more consistant I would think.

What if you wanted a black skirt on the mask instead of the clear one... and the shop didn't carry it in black too?

What has been other people's experience with this?

It is not a quality problem. But many have a problem with using an LDS as a fitting room so you can then go take advantage of the cheaper prices online. Why don't you give your LDS a reasonable chance to make the sale. You need to decide how much their service is worth.

I know that I'm gonna get flamed for this,... but if you can find the same mask online for a better price than what they have in your LDS, then by all means, go for online. Of course online merchants have a host of other concerns that you don't deal with at your LDS, like shipping, difficult returns, etc,.. but some of the time it's worth going on-line.

Let's face it,.. half of the time the LDS inflates their prices so much that they are practically pushing me to buy online. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning "using" your LDS as a testing ground when you know that you are going to purchase the item somewhere else. But if you go to your LDS and are blown away by their prices,.. then sure, so for the better deal. That's the definition of competition and the cost of doing buisness. Looking back at all the gear that I have purchased, I'd say 20% has been bought in the store and the other 80% is from other means (craigslist, ebay, scuba.com - my favorite, etc...)

Air On:
Say I found a mask that fit grate at a local dive shop (a Tusa Visunator) and the shop wants something like $120 for the mask but includes some tupperware for it.

I can find the same mask online from a well known vender who has been well reviewed... for less than HALF that price

I bought the exact mask, a Tusa Visunator at my local shop. About a year later I lost it and then replaced it using an on-line source and as you noticed paid a lot less.

The first mask was claer skirt and the replacement is black skirt. I do like the black better because it does not let light in the sides. The masks are exactly identical except for color

Here in So Calif. there are many shops and some compettition. So in store prices are more like on line prices except on the brands that are price fixed.

Some people will argue that it is not fair to the shop to take up their time when you know you will not be buying from them. I think it's perfectly OK to go into the store, try the stuff and then ask about price and if you don't like the price to walk. That is what retailing is all about. But don't go in and not even give them a chance to compete.

To be fair and honest I went to the dive shops fully intending to purchase from them... I like to buy something and have it right away. I would love to be able to say that I supported my local dive shop even if it cost a LITTLE more.

But after recovering from the sticker shock at not just one dive shop but many... Something in pricing is way wrong... A pair of Rocket fins has no buisness being $130 plus dollars and a special order. The CHEAP fins I can find in the shops are $120.
Online... They are under $60 with shipping and any taxes included.

I wanted to get a mask next, so I visited the local shops again to see how the CHEAP masks fit... CHEAP... holy crap a mask is over $120 in most places too. The shop I tried the Tusa on at was just as spendy... I'm trying to justify their prices by saying they include the case.... but still.

I cannot for the life of me justify double the price, just to buy at a shop. I did want to get the mask at a shop... I can't afford a shop prices and limited selection. What level of SERVICE are they going to give me for a Mask and Fins? Not much in the way of moving parts... I could buy 2 masks in case one fails from online and still save money.

Even if the shops were to order them online for me and charge me $10 more for thier handling it, they would still be about half the price they are charging already.

Now a regulator or a BC or tanks... I can see a shop providing service and parts...
But if I can spend $2000 for a complete setup instead of $4000... I think I can afford $1000 to pay for some serious service and still come out ahead?

Think about this with cars... If you could buy a new car custom designed from online for HALF the price of a car without the options you wanted and they had the same manuf warrenty...

I'd like to see the prices the MANUF. are giving dive shops... Something doesn't make sence.... Hell the sticker on my Rocket Fins was even $10 more than the price I payed for them... someting really doesn't add up.

If you needed a custom fit for something ,then I could see the SPECIALTY SHOP prices to get that right to have something made. I don't think the Masks should be considered the same as a wet suit that has to fit a body type....

Not that I feel strongly about this issue or anything but,

Buy from an LDS or don't bother walking in their door. Better yet, if you DO walk in their door make sure you tell any associate that unsuspectingly greets you or offers you help that you fully intend to price shop them on the internet.

If you think that your LDS's products are so overpriced that you need to purchase those products online then the LDS is obviously not worthy of your time or money so do yourself a favor and don't bother setting foot in their establishment again.

It is absolutly OK to buy off the internet. Just don't bother asking your LDS's employees for any advice about anything at all. Ever.

I keep reading that you should'nt use your LDS for a fitting room or don't ask them for advice and then go buy off the internet.

Hello!, this is called shopping. If this guy goes into a store with intentions of buying himself a new mask and finds one he likes, is he obligated to pay $120 for it? Hell no! I don't care what brand it is, what color it is, or what advice he got, a mask that cost less than $5.00 to manufacture is not worth $120.

The LDS has an interested customer in his shop wanting and willing to buy a mask, If he won't make the sale because of the price he is asking then it is not the cutomers fault that he leaves the shop then goes home and orders it off the internet.

If you are not going to be competative with the rest of the world then don't blame the customer when you don't make the sale.

max4444:
Not that I feel strongly about this issue or anything but,

Buy from an LDS or don't bother walking in their door. Better yet, if you DO walk in their door make sure you tell any associate that unsuspectingly greets you or offers you help that you fully intend to price shop them on the internet.

If you think that your LDS's products are so overpriced that you need to purchase those products online then the LDS is obviously not worthy of your time or money so do yourself a favor and don't bother setting foot in their establishment again.

It is absolutly OK to buy off the internet. Just don't bother asking your LDS's employees for any advice about anything at all. Ever.

As I said... I had intended to buy from a shop. Its not like I only went to one just to find a mask to buy it online. I went to a few shops and tried to find a good price at the shops. So I spent time and money driving around the various shops FIRST trying to find a fair price. In that case ALL the local shops appear over priced to me.

I'm also in an American city, so the art of haggling over a price is not socially acceptible. If they say its $120 for a basic mask... Well They are not going to cut the price in half because someone else is.

If your not looking around to compare prices at stores and you just buy the first thing you find at the first store and accept the price they set... Well your just proving the point that a sucker is born every minute.

With the fins, I did researched them online first, because I didn't know what was a good set of fins. I asked the shop were did they have jet or rocket fins because I didn't see any. When they said they were special order and told me the price i told them I'd seen them online at a shop for $50 and her face fell like I'd caught them in a lie. Then when I asked what the cheapest fins they sold were... They were still over $100.

So I guess you'd buy a car from the Car salesman at the price he sets and not talk to the Fleet manager first too then... I have a $36k truck for $29k... Who's fooling who here. If you can't sell at the price I want and someone else will... Thats your fault.

If you can't price reasonably... Don't cry if you loose sales to other avenues. If it cost $20 for a jug of milk from the store and $10 on the black market... How can the black market price it better? I say the regular stores are exploiting you.

I digress though.

I just wanted to know if they items being sold were the same. I thought the cheaper items might be factory seconds or refurbished somehow... If they are the same items... Shame on the shops. Its not like I'm trying to buy trendy status items like a Rolex or designer eyewear... Its a stupid dive mask like I had as a kid for $10. I can buy the COOL gear later... I'm just getting into Scuba. Where is the newbie entry level items that become backups later?

I'm not going to feel sorry for a poor little dive shop that is trying to soak me out of my hard earned money.

I have no problem buying stuff off the net, but if you go to a LDS to do research you owe it to them to at least ask if they can match prices before buying elsewhere. You used their show room and time, they deserve a chance at the sale at least.

midwayman:
I have no problem buying stuff off the net, but if you go to a LDS to do research you owe it to them to at least ask if they can match prices before buying elsewhere. You used their show room and time, they deserve a chance at the sale at least.

As I said a few times... I indended to buy at a shop. I prefer to buy items from a person and SEE what I buy. When I told them I wanted a non trendy, off brand, cheap basic mask... And they started at over $100

At $100 I start thinking about the cost of a peice of tempered glass, a sheet of rubber, a large pipe tightener and the time to put one together myself! I don't care what it looks like if it works.

Tell you what... I'll CALL the dive shops that I visited and talk to the sales people again and give them the opportunity to adjust thier price again. I'm not going to do all the driving around again though.
I'll even add the shipping to the price I give them for a priority 1st overnight delivery.
That should add $20-$30 to the price!

I'll add thier responces here for you to see...
(Colorful language to follow)

Back
Top Bottom