Mask prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never really understood the reason dor a purge valve. Forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me the shirt of the mask is a purge valve.

I never really understood the reason dor a purge valve. Forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me the shirt of the mask is a purge valve.
You got that right.

As the others have said it's all about fit but many land in the $50 - $75 range. You may end up going to $100 but it's all relative to your investment in diving so don't take any shortcuts. Be sure to get it in the water before the next trip, even if its just for skin-diving. That's the only real way to be pretty sure you wont be distracted by a poor fit while on vacation.

Here's some more mask shopping & use info.

Pete

Definitely buying at a dive shop to test for fit (comfort too). Absolutely. Yesterday I stepped into a shop I was just driving past, went in tried on the first mask I saw witrhout donning the strap, sucked air in through my nose & it stuck to my face so well I could walk around the shop for half hour without it coming off (as long I didn't exhale through my nose). I asked the clerk how much. He quoted $70 & told me that was about average for what I was looking for. I thanked him & told hime I'd be back. Any comments?

Go back and buy it. Maybe you can get a few bucks off, or maybe ask if they can throw in a bottle of defog or something.

Definitely buy something that fits rather than something that is cheap. The original mid-cheap mask that I bought for my daughter fit fine with a brief check in the dive store. Unfortunately, once she got diving we found some issues with the fit. We were unable to resolve them so off to the dive store to get a new mask. I was intending on getting another mid-cheap mask that fit her face better. Unfortunately, after almost 45 minutes in the store, we ended up buying a $85 mask.

So, the end result is that I spent about $125 for two masks. One that is useless for my daughter and one that fits her very well.

A purge valve lets you purge the mask without tilting your head to get the water near the edge of the skirt.

OTOH, sometimes it clogs or or leaks, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

Terry

As said many time here, fit over price. Go to your LDS and try several on and also put a snorkel in your mouth, it will change how a mask fits. i have a whole box of masks that flooded after i went diving. If you have a hard to fit face like mine, try a frameless.

I recently bought a very fine, well fitting backup mask for $15. I shop tent sales and closeouts at dive shops for things I may need in the future. If you pay over $30, you're in too much of a hurry. Of course, you might be in a hurry because your class starts tomorrow or you broke/lost your last mask.

I recently bought a very fine, well fitting backup mask for $15. I shop tent sales and closeouts at dive shops for things I may need in the future. If you pay over $30, you're in too much of a hurry. Of course, you might be in a hurry because your class starts tomorrow or you broke/lost your last mask.

Masks are really expensive when you *need* them right now. :shocked2:

Masks are pretty cheap (and plentiful) when you don't really need them. :crafty:

ditto. once I find a mask that fits me, I watch everywhere for a screaming deal on one. If you need one right now, not much you can do to save money on it. But if you're shopping for spares, you can save a lot if you take your time looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom