Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it is not a reliable distress signal, it is not even a distress signal at all, there is no Loch Nes monster, there is no Big Foot, there are no elves or aliens abducting people and performing strange probing experiments and there is no Atlantis and there is no mysterious energy vortex in the Bermuda Triangle.

N <----scubazoic era survivor

No, it is not a reliable distress signal, it is not even a distress signal at all, there is no Loch Nes monster, there is no Big Foot, there are no elves or aliens abducting people and performing strange probing experiments and there is no Atlantis and there is no mysterious energy vortex in the Bermuda Triangle.
:rolleyes: Yeah right - like Santa makes all the toys by himself...

:rolleyes: Yeah right - like Santa makes all the toys by himself...

There is no Santa either.:lotsalove:

Neanderthals, at least we were (are) real. :eyebrow:

N <---scubazoic survivor

I was taught not to place mask on my forehead to prevent it from being washed away or knocked off my head. Also PADI did mention it COULD be a sign of stress. But while in Vegas sitting by the shark tank/pool, I noticed the divers who had cleaned the tank enter and exit with masks on their foreheads. Over the few days I noticed that every diver placed their mask on the forehead. I never approached the teams to ask why.

Last edited:
Its not intended to be used as a distress signal, never was.
the point is a distressed diver rejects his equipment so the mask on forehead could indicate a distressed diver.
Its a bad idea because the mask tilted up on to the for head isn't as secure as a mask worn on your face or pulled down under your chin and may be lost in the surf.

I’ve been yelled at before while diving in Maui by doing this- just waiting around for the boat. I also do not like this “rule” as stated it makes no sense that a distressed diver is going to have their mask balanced on their forehead. Count me as an official- “moved on”.

... Quite frankly, the mask really should not be put on your forehead in open water anyways (distress or not), merely because of the problems that can occur when it falls off and buh-bye to the bottom it goes. Around the neck you are pretty much guaranteed not to lose it.

See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3667546-post13.html
Read the whole thread if you don't understand what this is.

Yes, I agree "Around the neck you are pretty much guaranteed not to lose it.".
The bungee necklace does a better job of that than the mask strap.
You can then go MOF without risk of losing your mask.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom