Mask on forehead = diver in distress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
So, please don't lecture me on how I'm not thinking about this at all...

lamont, I regret if you think I am lecturing you. I am not lecturing anyone. Each to his or her own opinion and I think I have a right to mine. And that was all I was stating. No one is ever going to agree on this subject and I have absolutely no idea why I even replied...I'm going back to the "Fart" thread....Later

I stopped reading after page 3...

Here are the four things I tell my students about MOF:

1. With quarry conditions calmer than most swimming pools, I have seen people lose their masks after they placed it on their forehead. Just compound this with rougher condition. Depending on how far up (and back) you push it, the tension in the mask strap can help it the rest of the way off. Why risk the $50+ on something as simple as as not putting it on your forehead.

2. I try to break them of the habit of immediately removing thier mask upon surfacing. I want to impress upon them to keep the mask on and regulator in just in case something goes wrong on the surface. This something can be as simple as someone dropping something (and you can watch it drop and go get it) to helping someone in distress.

3. If you are exiting in deep water, exit with the regulator in and mask on just in case you fall back in or need to help someone else with their exit.

4. It will prevent the MOF-fanatics from giving you a hard time.

A distressed diver strives to get to a comfortable condition. For non-veteran divers, the conformtable condition means nothing on their face and regulator out of their mouth. So in their efforts they make the natural moment of pushing the mask away from the eyes and nose. Pulling it down is not natural since they want it away from them. So once you push it away it will end up on your forehead or in the water behind you.

Yes, MOF is a *potential* sign of distress. The distressed divers that I have seen never had their mask squarely on their forehead head, it was always skewed or still covering like one eye. It obviously was pushed out of the way with haste. Otherwise, the distressed diver didn't have a mask on since they got rid of it already. Good thiing I didn't rely soley on the MOF = panic.

A very nice way to sum it up.

Thats all folks.....

I like to wear MOF, but I was diving with a lady who had her mask on her forehead and somehow, in a clam but cloudy lake, the thing came off when she turned over to float on her back and look up at the cliffs. We never found it.

Because I believe that there needs to be a universal sign of distress in order to save lives, and no one seems to have com up with a better one, I bow to the MOF.

highlandfarmwv:
Because I believe that there needs to be a universal sign of distress in order to save lives, and no one seems to have com up with a better one, I bow to the MOF.

I suggest you take a rescue course from someone who actually knows something about rescues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom