Mask Mounted Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sartech3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey divers,

I'm looking for a solid, reliable light that I can use to mount on my mask for those time when I don't need my super bright hand held. Something that will help me keep my hands free. Only one I've found so far is the UK Mini Q40 Xenon. Let me know of any reviews or lights you've come across. :cool2:

I do a lot of my diving up in Canada in the great lakes area, so cold, dark, deep water.

how deep do you need them rated

Lights commonly used for that are the Intova torches. They can normally be found for cheap and are just bungeed on to your mask.

If you do it, be aware that Bob is right.....shining your lights in a buddy's face can cause pretty bad reactions. I know it pisses ME off, to the point where I'm less likely to dive with you.

Hey divers,

I'm looking for a solid, reliable light...Something that will help me keep my hands free.

I do a lot of my diving up in Canada in the great lakes area, so cold, dark, deep water.

Head mounted lights present the risk of blinding your buddy. If you want a hands-free option, get a small goodman torch. The DRIS 1K works well, and they offer a goodman mount for it (the whole setup is around $100). I have one and it works really nicely. If you ever upgrade to a can light, the DRIS just snaps out of the handle and is also a fine backup. If you get a head mounted light, you run the risk of setting your split fins on fire and sinking the boat, causing the lake to drain.

keep in mind, signaling with a mask light is somewhat an "interesting" maneuver, likely to scare your buddy.....

Diving Hand Held LED Lights - Dive Gear Express

Dive Mini Light by aquatec. I have these (2 each) on 3 of my masks. They are not blinding and are great for reading you computer, gauges, and a good bit in front of you. If you need more than this it will blind others and you would do better as said above, something with a soft or hard goodman handle. Mark

Diving Hand Held LED Lights - Dive Gear Express

Dive Mini Light by aquatec. I have these (2 each) on 3 of my masks. They are not blinding and are great for reading you computer, gauges, and a good bit in front of you. If you need more than this it will blind others and you would do better as said above, something with a soft or hard goodman handle. Mark
Use the same one for the same reason, just to quickly ck. gauges..... Wear gauges on both arms, but only use one primary light at a time, so it's quick and convenient........

If it's that dark...or for a night dive fer-sure...how about a simple cyalume light stick?

As a buddy, I absolutely hate them as the user blinds you every time you make eye contact....... better off with something in a soft goodman handle/light sock..
This...

Headmounted lights is for people who dont need to worry about blinding their buddy...
My worst experience with regards to lights however was a dive in a certain area in Mexico where the guide when he turned around to look for his guests put his can light in my face, repeatedly. Sadly for him his old, well used, can light where kinda weaker than my handheld LED light and he kinda stopped when I purposely put it directly into his eyes till he turned away...

Back
Top Bottom